“Yes?” I replied. If he asks—

“Did you maybe wanna, you know, like meet up somewhere?” he drawled.

Oh, God. He asked. Calm and collected, Alex!

Shakily, I took my left hand and switched my phone to my left ear. “Sure.” I replied. Okay, that’s good enough, I told myself. Short and simple.

“Really?” he asked. Before I could say something sarcastic like ‘no, I just said sure because I hate your guts, and I don’t wanna see that ugly face of yours’, he added, “Okay, then! I’ll pick you up in a few hours then.”

A few hours? As in today!? Oh, God. . .

I nodded in agreement as I replied, “Okay, see you then.”

As soon as I hung up, Danielle bombarded me with questions. “ ‘See you later’!? Alex, are you going to go meet him?”

I stared blankly at her. Eventually, a grin made its way to my face. She smiled widely as her eyes sparkled. “Yes, you are! Oh my gosh, I am definitely coming with you! Alex, I can’t breathe right now! I can’t believe—”

“Danielle, chill! And I don’t think you should come. . .” I hated saying those words. As they escaped my lips, her face fell, and her smile disappeared all within a second.

“Why not?”

“I don’t think he wanted me to bring a friend. . .”

“Aw, Alex! I wanted to see him!” she pleaded. “Please! Pretty please!? With a  cherry on top?”

“Sorry. You can see him when he picks me up, though.”

“When will that be, exactly?” she questioned.

“In a few hours.”

Her smile was back in an instant. “A few hours!? Alex, we have got to get you ready! We have to do your hair, we have to do your makeup, we have to—”

I cut her off. “Are you going to stand there and ramble, or are you going to help me get ready?”

She shut up and scurried off to my three suitcases. Ah, Danielle is going to enjoy this. I, on the other hand. . . Not so much.

* * *

I gazed at my reflection in the mirror that hung on Vicky’s closet door. Vicky and Dani were standing on either side of me grinning from ear to ear.

The first thing they chose for me to wear on this so called “date” as Vicky calls it, was a long red ball gown with six inch heels. What the heck was she thinking!? It’s ninety degrees outside! And why does Vicky even have a big poofy ball gown in the first place!?