Little Newt is Not So Little Anymore

*2Years Later*

"Dreggggggggg I wanna go flying, you never take me anywhere." If it was possible Dreg would be rolling his eyes. Little Newt was constantly asking him to take her places and every time he turned his head she would disappear into the forest. She was much too young to be off on her own and she was still soft and squishy.

She had been with him for 10 years and was getting bigger everyday. Though he had been reluctant at first to allow Aurora to stay in his home she had been invaluable. He had no idea where the clothes came from but she always procured new garments when the little newt outgrew her old ones. She also helped in the beginning when her magic went out of control.

Little Newt had gave them quite the scare when she was 5 years old.

*Flashback*

"Aurora you have to come here, there is something wrong. I cannot find her!" Dreg yelled as he searched each of the caverns off the main cave.

He had awoke in the middle of the night because he felt a strong burst of magic, it was not the normal ice magic that their little newt had been using for the past two years in small spurts. This one was strong, and very very deadly. Dreg could not help but think "Where could she have gotten off to, she is just a small child. What if whoever was after he found her?"

"I feel a magical residue that heads off into the forest. It seems to be in the direction of the Ancient site.." Aurora let her sentence trail off as Dreg pushed himself off the ground and shot straight into the sky to head to the site. Nothing good would come from it if she was indeed in that place. Aurora knew he had to get to her now.

Looking down as he flew he noticed tendrils of ice, and the closer he got to the site the more there were. Something was definitely wrong. The air never felt cold to him, even in the highest altitudes dragons dared to fly, but the closer he got to the Ancient sites the colder he felt.

Ice started to form on his wings making it harder to flap, but he could not stop now. Just at the end of this tree line he would reach his destination and he knew she would be there.

Just as he went over the tops of the last trees his wings gave out and he plummeted to the ground causing a small crater to form. Luckily he had turned so that his wings would not be damaged in the fall.

Looking up once he got his bearings he was in awe of the massive ice fortress that stood in front of him. Standing at almost 10 feet tall he could still see over it and it spanned all the way across the ancient site ending where the rock formations stop.

"Little Newt?" he tried speaking to her mind, but all he heard was his own voice echo back at him. She had been practicing her ice magic but this was a whole different level. She had never produced anything this large, and nothing she made even lasted more than a few minutes. Could she have created this? If she did where is she now.

He started to gather fire in his belly to blow it across the ice and melt it when Aurora spoke behind him, "I would not do that if I were you, She is inside that. I can feel her and if you burn it down you will probably burn her too."

Releasing his fire he had gathered safely above the ice formation he turned to look at Aurora. "If I cannot melt it to get her out, then how do you suppose we can? We cannot just leave her in it, what if she cannot breathe or,"

Aurora cut him off, "You need to calm yourself Dreg, for someone who quite often claims his does not care what happens to the child you are making it seem like you do. Also she will not suffer inside her ice, she created it to protect herself, and honestly probably to protect everything around her from herself."

Dreg was in shock hearing those words, "What do you mean protect everything from herself? Surely her ice would not have been enough to kill a being such as yourself and while it may have restricted my movements even I would have survived such an ordeal."

Aurora shook her head, she knew it was time to tell Dreg of the real reason she had requested to stay by the young child for the past 5 years. "She has more than just Ice magic.. I felt it the first time I saw her but I had no idea what it really was and as it was still dormant I let it be and focused on her ice. That burst you felt earlier... that was all her. She probably came out here because that is what her instincts told her to do and when the other magic burst from her she unconsciously erected this ice barrier around her to contain it. I have not felt something like this in centuries and I am still not sure what exactly it is. All we can do is wait for her to run out of energy and then her magic will dissipate. Now that it has unlocked I will put a bind on it, but it will not hold it forever Dreg, and one day she will probably have another shock like she did tonight."

Dreg was deep in thought as he contemplated all that Aurora had just told him, he would not admit it but he was becoming attached to the child. "Then we wait and you bind it. I said I would protect her and so I will, even if that is from herself." With that he curled up and prepared for the wait turning away from Aurora.

*End of Flashback*

"You always ignore me, why wont you just take me to the top of the mountain and then we can come right back. I promise I will be good." Little Newt pleaded bringing Dreg out of his memories.

"I could just eat you," Dreg warns but Newt knows it is an empty threat. Even though he does not smile she can hear the laughter in his voice.

"If you did that I would break your teeth with my hard bones!" She cackles back climbing up his foreleg to position herself between two of his spikes.

"Where are my wings?" the young girl asks looking at the dragon who has raised her.

The dragon knows he will one day have to tell her she is not a dragon, but for now.. he will play along. "Dragons come in all shapes and sizes, maybe you will never even have wings".

The girl pouts, she wants to fly just as Dreg does.

"But are you not my family? You have wings, so therefore should I not also have wings?" Newt was starting to get upset, this was the same conversation they had at least once a month for the past couple years.

Changing the subject Dreg does what he always does when they start to talk about her family, he takes her for a ride. "Hold tight then, just up the mountain and back and then you need to practice your magic."

While Newt really wants the answers to her questions, she knows he will not tell her. She mainly uses them now so that he will take her away from the cave. The world is so large and she has seen so very little.

Aurora told her now that she is 10 she shouldstart to learn a variety of other skills. She already knows how to hunt, andwas working on her fighting skills whenever she wasn't learning magic. She doesn'tsee any reason to learn things such as: proper etiquette, dancing, or even howto read. It wasn't like they ever had any visitors, day by day the only beingshe saw was Dreg and Aurora.