Chapter 7: Annyeong

Começar do início

Lee Seungwon stared in disbelief at the young woman before him. No one ever corrected him. No-none. He looked over at Richard, who raised his eyebrows in an 'I told you so' expression. Feisty, indeed.

"You are late," he turned to Vincent with a scowl.

"We took a little detour," Vincent said, shrugging.

"I expected you here hours ago."

"Well, I see you and Mr. Bae have spent your time wisely," Vincent said dryly. "Did he tell you I'm using Suzy to get a green card?"

"He informed me that you are both risking serious charges for fraud, but I have managed to reach an agreement for you."

"You have, now?" Vincent scoffed.

"You will stay here and take over the estate like you were supposed to, and your little… secretary… will go back home and live her life as if none of this ever happened. Arasso?"

"You have it all figured out, don't you?" Vincent said between clenched teeth.

"Someone has to clean up your messes," Seungwon said, his head held high. Then his eyes narrowed. "You haven't gotten her pregnant, have you? I have no interest in providing for a bastard grandchild."

Punch.

Suzy's jaw dropped as she took in the scene before her. Vincent was shaking with rage, his fists clenching at his sides, a small trace of blood on his knuckles corresponding to the bleeding nose on his father's face.

"Abeoji…" the man in the doorway froze. "Hyung?" he said in disbelief.

Vincent, seeing that his father had gone over to get a handkerchief to wipe his face and down another tumbler of scotch, turned around to face the dark blonde, broad shouldered man.

"Annyeong, Sungjae-ah."

"Hyung!" the man's face lit up and he embraced his brother.

Suzy watched them, thinking that this was clearly Seungwon's son. He shared all the same features as his father, but perhaps exuded a little less arrogance and pride in his stance.

"Wae-", the younger Lee looked over his brother's shoulder and saw his father's bleeding nose. "Hyung… eotteohge doen geoyeyo?"

"Abeoji was being inappropriate," Vincent said, his head held high.

"You're here for five minutes and you manage to get into an argument with him?" Sungjae raised his eyebrows. "What did he say?"

"He insulted my fiancée," Vincent said, reaching for Suzy's hand. "Suzy, I'd like you to meet my brother. Lee Sungjae, this is Suzy Bae. The woman who has agreed to be my wife," Vincent introduced him.

A flicker of surprise passed over Sungjae's Romanesque features, then a smile settled on his lips and he brought her hand to them. "Pleasure to meet you, Suzyssi."

"Please, call me Suzy," Suzy said, smiling uncomfortably.

"Abeoji said you were engaged, but I must admit, I had trouble believing it…" Sungjae turned to Vincent, his eyes still on Suzy.

"I pinch myself every day." Vincent smiled.

"So how long are you here for?" Sungjae asked, looking between the two.

"Two weeks, as per requested," Vincent answered, glaring over his shoulder at his father.

"Good. That gives me the chance to get to know my lovely sister-in-law," Sungjae flashed a brilliant smile in Suzy's direction.

"Sorry, halmeoni got dibs on her," Vincent said, flinging his arm over Suzy's shoulder.

"Oh, I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to get acquainted," Sungjae winked at Suzy.

She frowned. Why did she get the feeling that Vincent's arm around her shoulder was more a display of possession than anything else? Did the brothers have a history of sibling rivalry when it came to women? She certainly didn't feel comfortable with the way Sungjae was looking at her. Suzy shook off her errant thoughts, she was being ridiculous.

"Vincent," she looked up at him, "I would like to freshen up. Would you mind…?"

"Yes, of course," he smiled. "I'll be right back," he said to his brother and led Suzy out of the study and up the stairs.

××××××

Their luggage had already been brought to the guest room that was set up for them. The space was mainly occupied by a large four poster bed. There was a flat screen TV on the wall, some art pieces and two dressers.

The en suite bathroom was just as big as the bedroom, with floor to ceiling marble, a frameless shower enclosure with a built-in seat, his-and-hers sinks and a Jacuzzi against the window.

Suzy looked around, wide-eyed. "This is gorgeous," she breathed.

"It used to be my room. It was a great place to entertain," he smirked.

Suzy looked out the large window by the Jacuzzi, which overlooked the gardens. Not a curtain in sight. "Uh… Vincent…"

"It's a one way window," Vicent smiled at her confusion. "No-one can see inside, unless you flip this little switch right here," he pointed to a panel on the wall.

"Really?"

"Really."

"So… about your father…"

"He won't bother you."

"How can you be so sure?"

"He's an ass, but since I grew up, he knows he can't take me in a fight anymore."

"I don't want you to fight your father because of me."

"We have other issues."

"I get that. But don't add me to that list, okay?"

"I'm not gonna stand by and let him insult you. What you're doing for me… I can't thank you enough. I know you're risking a lot by just being here, but…"

"I'm not going back on my word, Vincent. I promised I would see this through, and I will."

"Suzy, I…"

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Who could that be?" Vincent frowned and went to open.

"Chin-aehaneun! dochaghaess-eul ttae wae allyeojuji anh-assseubnikka?" a grey-haired woman around Vincent's height exclaimed, wrapping her arms around him.

"Halmeoni!" Vincent exclaimed and held her tight. "Bogo sipseumnida. Jinjja."

"Omo. Nado bogo sipeo, Seunggi-ya. Neumo neumo. Now, introduce me to your inhyeong yeoja chingu," the elderly woman demanded.

"Of course, halmeoni. Suzy, I'd like you to meet my grandmother, Lee Minyoung."

"Yeppuda, Suzyssi," the woman beamed and hugged Suzy. "Call me halmeoni. I want to know all about you."

Suzy smiled at the welcoming woman before her. Her long dark grey hair was tied back in a braid that almost reached to her lower back. Her welcoming eyes were slightly friendlier than Vincent's. She was clearly a great beauty in her youth and her skin was still remarkably smooth. Lee Minyoung exuded strength and resilience. She reminded Suzy of Vincent. She instantly liked her.