CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Start from the beginning

"Um, thanks, Nana." I take it, not wanting to show my confusion. She seems so exited.

"Isn't it beautiful? It was my grandmother's necklace, you know? It's been in the family for generations and...oh dear, that's not it." She starts patting her pockets. "Oh no, I can't find it! Sarah, darling, would you go and look in my bedroom?"

After explaining to Nana that she's not at her house, Daniella and I settle her down in the guest bedroom, promising to take her home after she's rested. Once she's asleep we creep down the hallway to Daniella's room.

"Can I see that?" She asks, gesturing to the thimble.
I wordlessly hand it to her. She starts fiddling with it, and we sit in silence.

"Here!" Daniella proudly holds up a chain, from which the thimble now dangles. It's simple, and kind of weird to have a thimble on a necklace, but I smile anyway.

"How did you do that?"

"Oh, you know...tinkering. You know I make most of my own jewelry, right?" I didn't know that, and it shocks me that I could not know something like this about my own sister.

"It's perfect!" I clasp the necklace around my neck. "Thank you."

"Well, Now we can start a new family heirloom!" Daniella laughs.
I can't help but wonder what Nana actually wanted to give me.
***
Sunday Night, I'm doing homework that I completely forgot about over the weekend, when something hits my window. I get up and look out, only to get hit on the cheek by a pebble.

"What the hell?"

"Shit, Sarah! I'm so sorry!" Shane's standing under second-story my window, staring up at me. I can't help but laugh.

"Throwing rocks at my window, that's a little cliché, don't you think, babe?"
"It worked," he grins up at me. "So how do I get you down here?"

Moments later we're in his car on our way to a 'surprise' destination.

"So how was your weekend? Flirt with any Flynn Riders and Luke Skywalkers?" He teases. My face flushes as I think of Sean and then Zac, and I'm grateful it's dark.
"Yeah, actually, I did. It's too bad he was twelve though." I sigh in mock frustration. Shane chuckles and squeezes my knee.
"So how was the wedding?"

"It went okay, my new Uncle's a total douche though." He rambles on about the wedding and his cousins and aunts and uncles, and I can't help but marvel at all his relatives. My family has always been limited to mom and dad, Daniella and Nana. I don't even know if I have any aunts and uncles.
"We're here," Shane parks the car and opens my door for me. My brow creases in confusion.

"Here?" As far as I can tell, we're in the middle of nowhere. He laughs.

"Yeah, Wonder-girl. Here." He pulls me out of the car and I see that it's actually a roadside diner kind of stop. The kind that truckers and nomads hang out in.
He pulls me into the diner and a group of teenagers cheer at our entrance. Since when do teenagers hang out at roadside diners?

"Shane, my man!" A short guy with a stocky build steps up and greets Shane. He only reaches my nose in height. "And you must be Sarah." He picks up my hand and brushes his lips against my knuckles. I giggle, still confused. "I'm Jerry, but I'm sure you've heard all about me,"
"Actually..." Shane interjects.

"We drive all the way out here to meet your mystery girl, and she doesn't even know who I am?"
"It was a surprise..." Shane mutters, looking ashamed.

"Well, I don't know what a girl as stunning as you is doing with a guy like him," a guy who introduces himself as Ian puts his arm around my shoulder, earning a scathing look from Shane. I shrug his arm off and look towards my boyfriend for an explanation.

"Sarah, meet my friends from my old boarding school." I spend the evening getting to know the guys Shane went to school with, and to be honest, they're really awesome guys. Despite their pretentious flirting.

"I still can't believe they drove all the way out here to meet me." I say as Shane walks me to the door.

"They're cool like that." He takes my hands in his. His deep eyes searching mine. "I," he bites his lip. "I wanted them to meet you, because you mean a lot to me, and they mean a lot to me. They stood up for me when I got bullied, helped me through rough times. I want you to understand that they mean the world to me." I nod in understanding. It's like Blake, Carley and I. "And...I want you to know that, like them, you mean the world to me, Sarah."

I want to respond, I really want to say the same thing, but before I can manage the words, Shane kisses me. It's more than just the gentle kisses we've shared before, it's hungry and I can feel his passion behind it. I kiss him back, but in the deepest, darkest part of my heart, where I never let anyone in, I'm wondering what Zac's kiss would feel like.

And I hate myself for it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N
Hey guys!!
So is Shane perfect or what???
And how sweet was Daniella to make that necklace for Sarah? That's what the picture is by the way, the thimble necklace. We feel so sorry for Nana, battling with Dementia and all.
And that Carley-Sarah moment! How many of you guys have best friends who can see that deeply into you? Who just get you, and care that much about you?
Remember to vote, comment and follow!
Keep Reading
Xoxo
Storm and Snow😘💋💗