Chapter 10: A New Mission

Start from the beginning

"I did what I had to save Anakin. That's more than I can say for you."

Alana clenched her jaw, those words sticking to her. But then she thought of her actions in response. Maybe death was more comforting than life for her brother.

"I have to let him go," she whispered out loud. She startled herself out of her thoughts, opening her eyes in the darkened room. She looked around her, seeing the room was still empty. In order to save her brother, she had to lose him. She had done that when she had said goodbye to Obi-Wan those many months ago, and she found herself more at peace than she ever had before.

She shut her eyes again, thinking of the last part of the trials. The Trial of Insight. She had seen through Obi-Wan. He didn't feel real. He didn't seem real. The warmth and kindness that she usually felt when she was around him was beautiful and it made her feel safe. But she hadn't felt anything.

She sat there for a little while longer, allowing herself to reflect on her actions during the Trials before deciding that it was time to meditate on her path and her future, just like she had learned to do many years ago when she was just beginning her apprenticeship under Master Windu.

She took a deep breath and centered herself, focusing her mind on the Force, on the beautiful and marvelous presence of the Force that bound every living being together in a harmonious balance. She reached out with her mind for some time, searching for anything the Force would allow her to see when suddenly she grasped at something. A vision.

"Be careful, Master," the young girl standing in front of Alana said. It was a Cathar Padawan, looking up to her with wide eyes, her arms crossed over her chest.

"I always am, young one. I will see you soon. Continue your training," Alana said before turning and getting into a ship beside Obi-Wan Kenobi.

"Ready, R5?" Alana asked her droid. It beeped excitedly back at her and she smiled. "Well let's go find out where that dart came from then, shall we?"

Alana shook her head out of her meditation, opening her eyes in the room. It seemed brighter than before as if she had been deep in meditation for much longer than she had thought. She closed her eyes again, trying to go back to that vision.

However, instead of reaching back at it, she was blocked by something in the Force, as if there was a great barrier between her and the vision. She took a deep breath and focused on it, determined to go around the barrier when suddenly she ran into a presence.

They approached her, their presence soft and sweet, nothing that Alana had ever felt before. She had a strong urge to grab for it, and she reached out her hand involuntarily even though she knew she could not touch it. But the presence was beautiful and perfect, and Alana did not want to move away from it. She stayed there for some time, finding immense peace and comfort in being near this person. She tried to will a vision into focus, wanting to see who it was, but the more she tried, the fainter the presence got until she suddenly was cut off from them.

She opened her eyes with a gasp, upset to have been torn away from the beautiful vision, and she sighed, seeing before her Master Windu.

"Master," she said.

"My young Padawan, it is time," he said.

Alana bowed and stood, following her Master from the room and down into the Hall of Knighthood. When the arrived, Master Windu guided her into the middle of the room. She could sense the members of the High Council all around her, hidden in the shadows of the circular room. Once Master Windu took his place among them, they all stepped forward together, and Alana knelt before them.