One for Another

"Ray, why do you keep looking outside?"

Norman thought Ray had no interest in going outside, but the look on Ray's face said otherwise. Here they were, two young boys fiddling around with wires and parts of a clock in Gracefield's extensive library. But as the two were fiddling around, Norman couldn't help but notice that his friend kept glancing outside, and it was obvious that his mind wasn't in the right place.

The boy across the table from Norman had a scowl on his face. His eyes would flicker with a hint of joy, but in moments he would look frustrated. Definitely wasn't paying attention to their little task.

The two boys didn't go outside with the rest of their family. Norman couldn't leave the house because it was snowing. He was just too delicate to spend such a long time outside. Mama wouldn't let him; despite how much he wanted to go and play with Emma and the rest of their family.

Ray, on the other hand, was different. "Why would I want to go outside?" said the little black-haired boy to Mama. He stood by the doorway as they watched their family run out the door screaming. Ray simply walked back into the house, and Norman and Mama watching him go, looking at each other with confused expressions. He reappeared moments later with a clock in his hand.

Ray shoved the clock in Norman's face, one Norman's never seen before, not that Norman asked where Ray got it from back then. "We can have fun by ourselves," Ray told him with a smirk. Ray dragged Norman along to his pace.

Norman thought that Ray was just taking pity on him and wanted to keep Norman company. Still, Norman couldn't reject such an offer, and so they headed to the library and sat at one of the many wooden tables. Together, they worked on disassembling a clock.

But while they were working, Ray couldn't stop looking out the window. Norman couldn't see what Ray was looking at with where he was sitting, but he was undoubtfully curious.

"I'll be right back," Ray said suddenly, abruptly getting out of his chair and rushing out the door. He left Norman sitting at the table, staring dumbfoundedly at the door.

Still, Norman had an idea of where Ray went. After Ray left, Norman slid his body out of the chair. His feet lightly tapped the floor as he went across the table and peeked out the window, seeing what Ray saw.

Norman saw Emma sitting there, her bright orange hair shining against the white snow. She was playing with Don and Gilda. It was easy to tell what they were doing. Norman could see piles and piles of snowballs of so many sizes surrounding the three kids. Failed snowballs, to be exact. They were all mismatched.

Norman watched as Gilda tried to gently put one snowball on top of a bigger one. She was being careful; she took it slow and easy. Yet, as soon as the snowball was placed on the other, it toppled over. Norman chuckled; it was almost like he could hear their frustrations through the glass.

In moments, Ray appeared into sight. He came out in Gracefield's uniform, no coat or scarf or any kind. Through the window, Norman could see Ray smack Emma on the head from behind. Norman cringed since it looked like it hurt.

Still, Ray sat down next to Emma and started forming a snowball in his hands. Slowly but surely, Ray made three perfectly round snowballs, earning the admiration of the three others next to him. Norman watched through the window as Ray slowly stacked the snowballs on each other, forming a mini snowman. Emma, Don, and Gilda gathered around the snowman in awe as Ray got up and patted his hands off. Without a warning, Ray walked right back into the house.

Norman removed himself from the window, walking back to his side of the table and sitting in his chair. When Ray walked in a few minutes later, it looked like Norman was right where he left him.