CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

Another person entered the waiting room, clutching their bag tightly to their body. She sat down and looked around the room, anxiously. Courtney watched the woman sitting in front of her and couldn't help but feel a bit relieved. It calmed her down: knowing that she wasn't the only one who could explode because of all the nerves. Then, the door went open, "Miss Colleen Brock?" A woman asked, looking down at her paper. The young woman sitting in front of Courtney stood up and muttered a yes. The blonde let out a sigh as she checked her watch. Just five more minutes and then it would be her turn.

"Have you told the Chief?" Meredith broke the silence.

Courtney nodded, while her eyes glanced over to the door again. "I told him the day after I scheduled the appointment. I didn't want to get paged during my session. He was acting a bit weird though, when I told him about it. It looked like he was worried about me? It was honestly a bit odd. He didn't really know what to say, really."

"He likes to think that we're his daughters, because he slept with mother," Meredith explained casually, while adjusting her position in her chair. "You learn to deal with it after a while."

"Um, okay? Well at least someone cares about us?" Courtney tried to see it on the positive side, shrugging her shoulders. Then, Meredith's pager went off, startling everyone in the room. The sisters shot an awkward and apologetic smile to the others, who quickly went back to minding their own business.

Meredith read the message, "I need to go. They need me at the hospital. Are you going to be okay? I'm sure Bailey will understand if I don't show up. It's not like she can kill me or anything. I left everyone traumatised after the first time, so let's not try that again."

"Oh no, don't go out baiting Bailey for me. Go. I think I'm going to be fine on my own here. It's almost my turn to go in, so it's really fine. Go save some lives, Mer. It's really fine." The blonde smiled, giving her sister a little push. The latter got out of her chair, slowly, still wondering if it was a good idea to leave. She ended up going through with it as her sister waved her goodbye. Courtney leaned back into her chair, letting out a sigh. She checked her watch again and saw that it was any moment now.

The door opened and out walked doctor Lynda Caldwell, Courtney's therapist. With a smile on her lips, she called for her new patient's name, "Courtney Grey?" The blonde stood up, taking her bag and coat. "Follow me please. You can take a seat right there and then we'll begin."

☤☤☤

Courtney was walking through the hallways of Seattle Grace, a small smile on her lips. Her hands were stuffed in the pockets of her light blue pants. She had just gotten back from her first ever therapy session and she felt incredibly good. After an hour of mostly talking about herself and doctor Caldwell guiding the conversation, she had felt relieved as she made her way to her workplace. The entire world was no longer pushing down on her shoulders, trying to get her to fall to the floor. She could breathe again, feeling the air inflate her lungs. The only thing on her mind was what surgery she might scrub into today. For the moment, there were no worries floating around in her head. She hadn't felt felt this way in a while.

For a long time, maybe even from before she had started as an intern, she had felt mentally blocked. The youngest Grey hadn't been able to take a break and look within herself, taken care of herself. She went from constant studying and trying to push herself to, well, the exact same thing. Courtney was constantly on high alert and never looked at her mental health. It just needed to keep up with her crazy schedule, but that was not how things work. She repressed so many things and didn't talk about enough, so the whole Denny situation had sent her over the edge. Her limit had been reached and she hadn't been able to get back to her old self on her own.