Chapter 11~Finnick

Mulai dari awal

Some turned the offer down saying they wouldn't risk their lives for this but assured everyone they would keep the secret safe.

I thought about it. The only reason I didn't join before was because of Annie. Now I had nothing to lose. And if this worked I could return to her. The decision then was simple.

"I'm in," Mags responded.

"Me too," I said.

"Great!" Plutarch exclaimed happily. "Be careful out there. Don't speak of this outside this room. Good luck."

I rub my arm absentmindedly to get rid of the sharp sting of the tracker. I look out the window at the clouds but it soon grows dark as the windows are blacked out. I twirl the black flame bracelet Haymitch gave me the night before.

I was chosen to protect Katniss and I needed to wear this so she would know to trust me. This was what Haymitch meant when he said he'll make sure Katniss has allies. I'm just hoping she'll see it before deciding to kill me.

Mags places her hands on mine to stop me from continuously spinning the bracelet on my wrist. It's already beginning to leave a mark.

"Don't worry. As soon as we're in you'll get Annie's bracelet back," Mags assures me.

I nod. I had to give it to her in order to wear this one Haymitch gave me. Without it on my wrist I already feel lost, like I can't feel Annie's presence anymore.

The hovercraft lands and we get off. Before we go in our individual sections, I stop and hug Mags. "Stay safe before I come for you," I tell her. "I'll see you soon."

"See you," Mags says as she leaves a kiss on my cheek.

Parsha and I enter the Launch Room where she tries to make small conversation as she dresses me in a fitted blue jump suit. It must act like a wetsuit based on the rubbery material and my knowledge of the arena.

I hear sniffling and I look up to see Parsha crying. We've never been close and frankly she annoyed me most of the time, but I can't blame her for being the way she is. She's lived her entire life in the Capitol. Wordlessly I wrap my arms around Parsha in a hug which only causes her to cry harder.

"Thanks for everything, Parsha," I say.

"You were always my favorite to dress," Parsha says. I give her a small smile before I step into the tube that'll take me into the arena. I instantly feel claustrophobic when the glass closes but I manage to give Parsha a small wave.

The platform begins lifting me up and I close my eyes as I try to control my breathing. I'll be trapped in that horrid place until I die or we escape. The sunlight blinds me when I finally break through. I place my hand over my eyes and look around. The familiar salty smell of the ocean and the cool liquid washing over my feet help calm me down. I can see the panic in most of the other people's eyes. Maybe this is why I was chosen to protect Katniss. This is my territory. My refuge.

I search for her and find her four places to my left. Katniss looks flustered. She shakes her head slightly and readies herself to jump off the platform. My eyebrows furrow in confusion. Can the girl on fire swim? I can't see Mags but I have to trust she'll be okay while I go to the cornucopia.

Ten. Nine.

I bend down and get ready to dive.

Eight. Seven.

Protect Katniss. Protect Peeta.

Six. Five.

Get Mags. Survive.