Chapter Five - Prisoners

Start from the beginning

"You gotta get the weight just right, drop 'em gentle, let them do the work. That way you can stretch their gullets a good four or five inches before they croak." Nothing more was heard as we approached the prisoners.

"If you would, milady, free us. Blast open this cell door and we'll keep a few of those thugs occupied for as long as we can." Destroying the cell door, we allowed the prisoners to escape and fight nearby guards. With a distraction in place, Evie used a key that I assume she took from the chief guard while I was eavesdropping on the prisoners. With the door unlocked, we entered the room where the Chief Warder is.

"Yeah, the stretch is good, but it doesn't count, does it? He's dead. So, where's the skill in that? Have him hanging for twenty minutes like that, stretching his gullet all the while. Mr. Jack likes when it lasts..." We hear the Chief Warder say as he walks around the room. I glared at him from where we were hiding in the shadows, his words causing nothing but a fire in my veins from what he is putting these innocent people through. All for the sake of entertaining the Ripper.

"I swear, he will not be living much longer." I whispered out as we walked closer to him, sticking to the shadows as we work out a plan to take him out.

"Nah, you gotta get the weight just right, drop 'em gentle and let them do the work. This work makes me proud, see? It's important work. Mr. Jack understands that. And I'm very good at it. The trick is in the drop. You let 'em go too fast the neck breaks, they're dead, you take 'em down."

"What a vile man."

"I could stretch you out ten, twelve inches but if you're dead there's nowt in it for me, is there? That last one - right mardy, fat bastard he was - he took some faffin' but I managed to pull a good half a foot from 'im. Piss all down his kegs, reeked like a lass' churner on the rag, ha, ha... Ah, perks of the job, eh?" Was all he said before the upstairs pulley appeared to become temporarily jammed "Go see what is wrong up there, you simperin' ass!" He said to who I believe to be an assistant of sorts.

"Yes, sir." The assistant replied before walking off.

"Well?"

"A problem with the new pulley, sir."

"Fix it, you jolterhead!" The assistant went and fixed the pulley, restoring it to its working position. A plan was forming in my head as this was happening.

"Evie, can you go and activate the pulley when the Chief Warder is standing right underneath it?" I said to her as I pointed to where the pulley is and where I want the Chief Warder to stand before she activates it.

"It will be done." Was all she said before making her way to the where the pulley is. It wasn't long before she was in place, the assistant seemingly to have disappeared as he had not returned, and the Chief Warder was finally standing in the right spot. With a nod of my head, signalling Evie to activate the pulley. Once it was activated, he was now hanging by his leg. Unsheathing my Hidden Blade, I used it to fatally wound the dangling Chief Warder with a stab to his throat.

"Look at you two! Goody two-shoes, is it? You think offing some 'ol hangman is going to change what we do here?" He said to us.

"We?" Evie questioned, to which I can't help but think as well.

"What do you think? This was your brother's vision...his inspiration!" The galls of this man. I couldn't help but say,

"I don't believe you. My husband would not do this." Nothing but rage was all I felt. How dare he say this was Jacob's inspiration.

"Ah, Mrs. Frye. So glad of you to join us after all this time. Jack has plans for you, my dear."

"To bloody hell with Jack and his acolytes." I said in disgust, wanting nothing more than to kill him.

"Did you know it was Jacob who taught Mr. Jack how to rip the filth from this rotten city, but you don't have the balls to see what's right and necessary."

"Where is Jack? Where is the Ripper?" Evie said before I could tear his throat out.

"Ah ah ah...!" He said before finally succumbing to his injury. Evie wiped his blood on a handkerchief, but all I could do was stand there, feeling nothing but hatred coursing through my veins. I have never hated anyone before, but just the thought of Jack has my blood boiling. I know Jacob trained Jack, I was there by his side, But this is not what Jacob would have wanted, this is not the way of the Brotherhood, it's not the way of the Creed,

"To hell with your right and necessary. That vile sadist was working for the Ripper, but there is no sign of Jack here..." Evie said.

"Oh, Jacob, you did not intend to breed this monster--but he is ours to destroy. The legacy of our Brotherhood depends on it." I said.

"I must inform Abberline about what we have discovered here..."

"I'll handle that. You go and free all the other captives." I said to Evie, who nodded her head and went off to free them. I managed to find a telephone and immediately called the Inspector. "I need to speak to Frederick Abberline. This is an emergency. Well, where is he? The Ripper has struck again? Where? All right, thank you, officer. WAIT! You need to alert the local constable. Send as many men as you can to the old Hulk prisons." After hanging up the phone, I made my way to where Evie seemed to be letting the last lot free.

"That's all of them. Did you manage to reach the Inspector?"

"I couldn't get a hold of him as Jack has struck again. Let's go and see what has happened as we are done here. The local constable will send as many men as he can here and deal with the aftermath, we are needed somewhere else." Nothing else was said as we left the area.