Chapter 17: The Promise

Start from the beginning

Michael stiffened. 'And he didn't say what that was?'

I shrugged. 'Simple curiosity?'

'There is never anything simple about Sébastien. I learned that a very long time ago.' He paused, his face twisting into a grimace. 'Fuck him. Fuck Dufort and his twisted games.'

I chewed on the inside of my mouth, contemplating this whole screwed up mess. 'There was one other thing,' I said, sliding my hands into the pocket of my jeans for the cellphone. 'He gave me...'

Michael's hand shot out to grab my wrist, stopping me from showing him the device. 'Don't,' he said, moving closer, until there was barely any air between us. 'Whatever it is, don't show me. Not here.'

'What? Why?'

He glanced around, before faking a smile. 'Because if he's given you what I think he's given you, then we need to get back in the car right now and leave.'

My heart thudded hard, leaving me with an ache that vibrated across my whole chest.

In my pocket, the phone started to vibrate. We both looked down, as the buzzing noise angrily refused to relent.

Oh Hell no.

Michael opened his palm. 'Give me the phone, Sarah.'

I slipped it into his waiting hand, and he hit call accept and put it on speakerphone.

'Michael.' Sébastien's voice poured like honey out of the speaker. 'I am so glad to know you reached the U.K without any problems at the border.'

'Well, I'm quite certain you probably had something to do with that, right?'

'Mais bien sûr, mon ami. I am sure you will find a way to express your gratitude, no?'

Michael sneered at the phone in his hand. 'What do you want, Sébastien?'

'This is what I have always liked about you, Michael. You are direct. No desire for the small talk, as you say. Il est parfait. We can proceed with our business.'

'I wasn't aware we had any seeing as you've already provided Sarah with the information we needed.'

'Ah, oui. Sarah, ma cherie, I must say, I am a little disappointed that you did not do as I asked. Fortunately for you, I already knew that you would not be able to keep our little secret, but it is no matter. You will still do what I say. You will meet with Monsieur Kerr, and you will report back to me, everything he tells you.'

'Just what exactly is it that you think Montague is going to tell us that you're so interested in?'

'Would you believe me if I said my curiosity is aroused?'

'No. I wouldn't. There are many things that arouse you, Dufort, but I doubt very much the words of an old man are one of them.'

Sébastien chuckled. 'Perhaps not, my friend. These days, I am not so easily pleased, but sometimes even I am surprised when I experience the taste of something so exquisite that I cannot easily shake it from my mind.'

My face grew suddenly warm, and I kept my gaze fixed firmly on the phone and refused to look at Michael, but I heard the strange, strangled noise he made, before clearing his throat.

'You know, Sébastien, if you're that interested to know what Montague Kerr has to say, why don't you just come with us?'

There was a pause.

'You can't, can you?' I said, my eyes widening at the realisation. Michael was right. Sébastien could just accompany us, but for some reason, he wouldn't. Or couldn't. 'Why not?'