Romance in a Study Dress

Start from the beginning

The next week was my week. Mine, I tell you!!! because I wore my lucky dress and he remembered it. “You look beautiful. Specially in that dress” Oh my! Did I swallow a couple of caterpillars before? because I swear there are butterflies doing cartwheels in my stomach. Wait, that’s stupid. Butterflies don’t do cartwheels hence the –flies in the name. but I wonder where the butter- part came from. Focus! What made the day mine?

He drew me. In my purple-grey dress.

Next week will be mine too. I’m pretty sure it will be because I’ll tell him I love him. I am sure, so please prepare your standing ovation.

I went with him to the history section, this surprised me too, and help him carry some odd books with statues and stuff. Wow! he’s really tall and cute and I guess hot. Insert giggling here. A black square fell from is pockets. Oh, his wallet.

“Ev---“ he’s already on his way to the tables. I’ll give this to him later.

He did his routine. Sharpen some stubbed pencils and flipped some books. He patted his pockets and his eyes widened. “Oh my! FU—“ he looks at me and sighed. “Sweetheart, I’ll be right back I think I dropped my wallet somewhere”

“This?” I took the black leather wallet and waved it a bit. He touched his chest and gave a big sigh of relief. I somehow opened it as I waved it around.

There was a picture of a girl with neatly curled brown hair kissing Evan’s cheek. This was clearly not his sister. I heard thousands of gasps in my head. Ouch! what was that? My chest is stinging. “Who is she?” I managed to cough out as my eyes blurred.

His deep beautiful eyes widened in understanding. “Sabrina, Listen” No! NO! NO! I am not gonna listen to you! “Who is she? Why is she kissing you?” I begged an answer. I stood up and went to the side of his seat.

“She’s Emma. My girlfriend”

I felt cold streaks on my cheeks. Girlfriend. Well that was a big slap on the face was it?  “b-but I love you” I stuttered as he faces me. He looks away for a minute then takes both my arms and kisses me. Only on the forehead though. Darn!

“When you’re old enough yo---“

“I’m ten” I cut him off. Old enough? I have ten years under my belt and wisdom of books add years too!

He sighed, clearly trying to make an argument. No! All your arguments are invalid! He leans in and holds me very tightly. Looking at me straight in the eyes.

“When you’re big enough” he rephrased, “You’ll find a very lucky guy you’ll fall in love with and be with him forever, okay?” he beckons me to nod but I didn’t. “Sabrina, do you understand?” my tears dried up by then.

“I don’t want another lucky guy Evan” I stomped my feet. He looked around noticing a number of eavesdroppers surrounding us as others in the library puts down their books and listens in. “Why can’t it be you?”

His voice hushed,  “I’m twenty one, sweetheart” he smiles and expected that to be a valid reason. “So?” extremely confused. “I’m too grown-up for you”

“No. . .I can grow up fast, you can wait. right?” I ran my hand through my upper lip, smearing my tears. He simply shakes his head. “Someday?” I bargained. please say yes. pleeeease. . .  Silence.

The conversation was finished and rejection sucks. SUUUUCKS!

“That’s enough Sabby” my mother lifts me up as she appears out of nowhere and my mind shuts down “I’m sorry Evan”

“Its alright Mrs.Collin.” I felt a touch on my cheek “I’m sorry sweetheart” he should stop calling me that or I’ll go ninja and kick his shin.

I laid my head on my mother’s shoulders as I closed my moist eyes stopping myself from having a last glimpse at the sight that is my first heartbreak.

That was eleven years ago.

Somehow all those memories flashed in my mind as I stood here in a gallery. Reveling at an abstract painting of blues, purples and greys. Gosh, was I immature. I shook my head and got back to the present. Sabrina Collin, the hotshot art dealer in the city. I need to get this artist’s name and get it for my boss ASAP. Our current client will surely  love this. I leaned in at the painting’s description.

Saturdays

What a lame title.

Mixed medium

by. . .

“Sabrina?”

 I turned around to see deep eyes and his surprised expression.

 Well audience, can I get my eleven year late standing ovation?