• 28 •

Fearing Them While Loving Them 

My whole body pulsed with my pacing heart as I sent as text message to Paul. The two of us hadn't seen or spoken to each other since what happened early this morning. 

I looked to my phone once more, rereading my message. 

Please, we need to talk. 

Guilt consumed me for how I acted towards Paul today, but after meeting with a friend I began accepting the fact that I can't always run from my fears. 

•••••

As soon as Kim and Emily stopped in front of my house, I ignored the duo's pestering questions and went to seek refuge in my house. Yet as Emily's car drifted down the street, my feet were glued to the house's doorstep. 

I didn't want to be with the pack, but I didn't want to be home-what did I want? 

So as my hand was hovering over the doorknob, I dropped it and turned to the grass, deciding to  go to the beach. 

The walk was unbearable with crutches and a heavy cast, but I made it and settled onto astray driftwood. The waves thundery crushed out at sea yet lapped into small puddles on the shore. While the breeze drifted amongst the pebble-filled ground, seagulls soared amongst my head. 

I could feel myself grounding back into reality, along with the guilt of what I had just done. 

"Luna?"

Bella, surprisingly approached me from my left, nothing with her except car keys and a phone.  

"Bella?" I frowned, "what are you doing here?"

"I staged a prison break and was trying to find Jacob," She sighed and sat next to me, "Sorry I didn't answer your call. I had managed to sneak away from Edward and get in my car when my phone rang, and with vampire hearing I knew i'd be caught." 

"Why does Edward sound like your parolee?" I smiled smally, enjoying the fact that the conversation was finally not on me. 

Bella laughed and ran her hand through her tangled brown hair, "since he came back, everything got complicated.... they don't really approve of my friendship with Jake." 

"Because they're wolves?" I prompted. 

She nodded, "That and their anger.  I remember at one point he used Emily's and your name to fuel his argument." 

Red hot anger filled my heart at that comment. I wanted to defend my pack so bad but in light of Edward's evidence, he was possibly right. 

"And you think differently?" I questioned. 

"Of course, I can trust Jake and the pack." 

"How can you be sure?" 

My pressing commentary pushed me into the spotlight as Bella turned to look at me, then dropped her gaze to my cast covered leg. "Luna, what happened?" 

A bitter laugh passed my lips as I gripped my clutches, "too much." 

"Why'd you call?" 

I stared down to the pebble-filled sand, should I talk to Bella? I mean she was the only person to exist in my life outside of the pack or family, and she knew about the supernatural. 

"I think we have some catching up to do.." I trailed off. 

"Well, I'm good to be here for a few hours, I missed La Push."