• 1 •

Who Are Sam and the Disciples? 

It must have been a pothole in the road that jostled me awake.

Brushing stray hairs from my face, I reluctantly opened my eyes, to be met by nothing but trees passing by. Confused, I straightened up and noticed the road we were on was surrounded by the forest on both sides. 

My parents were in the front seat, Mom was peacefully driving along the open stretch while dad crumbled up a map and chucked it behind him-out of sight, out of mind . 

It narrowly missed my big brother Colton as he lazily woke up from the jostling of the road. "What the hell?" He mumbled, looking towards the trunk where the discarded map ended. 

I smirked lightly, finding the whole situation amusing. I turned to my parents, "Where are we?" 

"Just passed through Forks," Dad answered, "Lot of good this map did too." 

My mom's lips twitch up, "You were holding it upside down for the majority of the drive, plus, I told you that I knew the way." 

As they lightly bickered, I turned to Colton, studying his face, more importantly his mouth. "Ew, were you drooling?" My eyes narrowed and I leaned to get a better look. 

"No!" He immediately defended, yet wiped at his mouth. 

"Luna, look," My mom interrupted us as she pointed, "There's the ocean." 

I leaned over Cole, aware that I was smushing his arm in the process to peer through his window. Rather than the tropical paradise I envisioned, there was a cloudy sky and murky sea. 

My head tilted lightly as I looked to the pebble-filled beach, "Oh." I couldn't help the disappointment that rolled off. 

Colton let out a laugh but push my arm, causing me to plop back in my seat. 

"It's just like that because of the weather," Dad defended, "You should've seen it when we visited, when it was nice and sunny." 

After another minute of driving down bending roads, we pulled into a gravel driveway. There were 2 acres of land surrounded by the thicket of forest trees. In the middle of the land sat a modestly sized house. And while the house looked in good condition, the yard need plenty of landscaping. Foot long weeds covered anything that used to be grass while everything was varying shades of brown. 

"Well, this isn't suburbia anymore," Colton commented surveying the land just as I had. 

"Once we get this yard fixed up and a fresh coat of paint," Dad spoke, mostly to himself, envisioning the plans he had.

Duffel bag already in hand, I closed the car door. "It's not that bad." I wanted to have an optimistic view of this new life and a few weeds were not going to stop that. 

Before any progress could actually be made towards the house, our moving truck pulled into the driveway. The driver wiped his forehead and let out a breath. 

Dad headed over to the drivers door, smiling. "We beat ya' here." He smiled, proud of his driving skills yet it was Mom who guided the way here. 

"Yeah sorry," The driver commented, "We took a few wrong turns. This place is in the middle of nowhere." 

He could not have been more right. Treading after my family inside, I broke off from the group, heading up to the stairs. 

Sneeze after sneeze came as we all dived deeper. There was a thick coat of dust blanketing every visible surface.