Sexuality

Briar-22 Grey/Atti-19 Mariah-16

Mariah Styles

When I was nine, I kissed a boy under the playground slide. It was a dare and his name was Tommy.

It was a peck, nothing intimate and just really quick. I remember pinching my eyes shut and puckering my lips, my knees digging into the warm stand.

I remembered how much he blushed after, a big smile on his face while his friends cheered. I remember feeling embarrassed but smiled. There wasn't anything special to me about it, it was just a kiss. I wondered if I was suppose to feel something or not like he did.

When I was twelve, I remember all my friends were gathered around at a sleepover. There was about six of us all in our pyjamas, all huddled around the phone and prank calling the boys they liked in class. I would be the one dialling the numbers for them, orchestrating the pranks because that was always my thing. I was the girl in the group that was in charge of all the mischievous things that got us in trouble. I remember how much they giggled and how their cheeks would burn when we called Skylar, Aaron, Jonathan, Gabriel.

"What about you Mariah, who do you have a crush on?" Vienna would ask me.

"Mmm." I shrugged with the phone in my hand. "No one really."

"Oh c'mon, has to be someone." She pushed.

I remember diving my memory hard to think of any boy I had a thing for, but no. I didn't have any one in mind, but I had to say someone. It was weird if I didn't.

"Matthew maybe." I shrugged.

They squealed at the idea, dialling up his number as quickly as they could in excitement.

When I was fifteen, Matthew asked me out on a date. It was in chemistry class, and we were lab partners. He was very nervous to ask me, I could tell. I've known him for so long, I knew he had a crush on me even way before he acted on it. I never really thought of Matthew in that sort of way, but I agreed.

After all, I was a teenage girl. Going on dates is what your suppose to do in high school right? That's what all my friends were doing. Lacie was always talking about boys and such, it just felt like it was my turn now.

We went for ice cream, a movie, and the park. Our conversation was just like any other, but he was really kind to me. I remember sitting in the grass with him in the park, staring at him as he stared at the lake. He had golden blonde hair, a sharp jaw, and big blue eyes. He was an attractive guy with a boyish charm, so why I didn't feel the spark?