VIII | Dirty Liar

Start from the beginning

Erasmus idles beside me, clearly as eager to be moving as I am as he shifts from foot to foot, adjusting the cuffs of his navy tunic. "Your scars," he utters, his words jolting through me and I narrow my eyes. "How did you get them?" He glances at me and I don't meet his dark eyes, feeling every scar upon my body itch like ants crawling along my skin.

He had no right to see me, nor any right to ask about my scars. Neither did Jile.

"It's a dangerous world we live in," I reply, my arms tightening around my chest, eager for this topic to die. It's wishful thinking.

"I've been alive for a while and I've been in the business of killing for most of it. Not all of your scars are from fighting." His gaze settles on the scar at my throat that slashes from the side of my neck to twist down to the hollow of my throat. One of the few I got in Warroll, a gift from Jile. I clench my hand in the fabric of my tunic to stop it from covering the jagged scar. "Some of your scars are precise, meant to cause pain. You were tortured."

Pain is simple. Pain is familiar.

"Clearly there are many different forms of torture and I'm enduring one of them," I bite back, venom in my voice.

Erasmus' lip twitches, a crack in his cold facade. "You don't like answering questions about yourself."

"Keen observation." We resort back to an uncomfortable silence as I become acutely aware of each and every mark upon my pale skin, branding me forever, each scar a reminder of my lessons and hardships.

You were made for a lot more than just survival, little flame. But it's all I can show you...

I glare at the polished marble floor and will his voice from my head, unwelcome in this moment.

"Sorry I'm late!" The loud voice has me wincing and I glance up as a girl dashes towards us, lugging a bag with her. "I was..." She stumbles to a halt before us, huffing out a breath as she looks down at her bag. "I mean, I wasn't stealing from the kitchens. These are books." She looks up at Erasmus with bright green eyes that glisten like emeralds, surrounded by smudged black that blends in with her bronzed skin. "Definitely books."

Erasmus nods. "I believe you, Suri."

My brows knit together. "You do?"

"You must be Azura," the girl says with a wide smile. She thrusts her hand out to me, skin a golden brown. I hesitate for a heartbeat too long before slipping my gloved hand into hers and giving it a hasty shake, then retreat. "I'm Suri and I'll be your guide."

I study the girl before me, an innocence in her gaze that reminds me of Dax. Perhaps I could fool myself into thinking she's someone untouched by the tragedies of this world if it weren't for the deep scar that cuts from just below her left cheekbone and curves into her shaved, dark hair, deep enough to give her mouth a slight lopsided smile.

"Well, I need to go," Erasmus says. "I'll leave you in Suri's capable hands. I trust neither of you will cause any trouble." He looks pointedly at Suri and she gives him a sheepish smile.

"Me? Never."

Erasmus' eyes flash with amusement before he takes his leave, abandoning me to the mercy of this curious girl.

"Right, first thing's first; magic," Suri says, whirling to me, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Magic?" I question, an incredulous note to my tone.

"Yes. This place has a lot of interesting magic. Follow me and you shall be astonished." She twists on her heel and begins a fast pace down the hall.