Chapter Five: (500) Seconds of Summer

You dove out of the shop and into the street. Your feet pounded cobblestones as you searched for the path through the forest. There!

A single line of beaten dirt wound through the grass. Tumbling onto it, you spilled onto the forest floor, dashing between dying rays of sunlight. Inside of you, the weak whisper of a rational voice sprang up. How did you know he was going to be there?

But you didn't listen. It was as if there was a beacon, guiding you to him. Something deep in your core, deep in your very being, dictated it. He would be there. Of that you were sure.

Bushes thrashed your face. Your lungs burned. The sky grew darker and darker the farther you ventured, shadows piling around you. Trees grew thick and the path weedy. Gotta get to Howl. Howl. Howl!

Bursting out of a bush, you fell into a clearing. You sank to your hands and knees, gasping, trying to soothe your crying lungs, hands clawing at grass.

And then you looked up.

There, at the top of the grassy knoll, stood Howl, his face pink and gold and indecipherable in the glow of the first fireworks. He looked far away, as if lost in thought.

"Howl!" you shouted.

Slowly, he turned. His eyes lit up in recognition. "(Y/N)," he muttered. "You're... you're here."

"Howl," you whispered back, throat scratchy from running. You were right. How had you been right? "I... how did you find this place?"

He looked up at the fireworks. "I suppose you could say this place found me," he replied, eyes reflecting the sparks of rockets. "How did you know I was here?"

You looked down. "I... I dunno. Calcifer said to find a place with a great view, and this was the first place I thought of."

"Calcifer," Howl repeated. "So you know."

"Yes, I do. And Howl," you got up and began to walk towards him, "I'm so, so sorry."

As you waded through knee-deep grass up the hill, Howl's face lit up with realization. "You're not mad at me?" he asked as he reached to take your hand, pulling you up the last stretch of the hill.

"No," you replied. "Okay, maybe you should've warned me better about those glasses, but still, I guess it's my fault for not listening."

"No, no, no, that was my fault," he said, waving a hand. "I should've remembered to take the curse off. It was irresponsible, exposing you to them. I... I'm sorry, (Y/N)." He looked you in the eyes.

You raised a hand to brush his cheek. "I forgive you," you said. "Can we... just put this all behind us?"

"Really? Can we really do that?" he asked, looking into your eyes. "After everything that's happened? I mean, the glasses. They hurt you. I hurt you. Do I... really deserve that?"

"Yes," you said, looking right back into his eyes. It was as if the ocean itself was glowing back at you, filled with the bright glow of rockets and Catherine wheels and mine fireworks whistling around you.

You didn't know who leaned in first, but all of a sudden, your lips were brushing, the barest hint of warm skin turning into the soft embrace of a kiss.

Your veins thrilled as his lips traced the edges of yours, head becoming whisper light as hands rose to trace the edges of your jaw, his presence a breath of fresh air in the humid summer evening. You tilted your head back, breathing in the scent of pine trees and sun-dried laundry from his skin.

Then, with a sigh, you both let go. You looked at him. "Good?"

"Good."

And then, hand in hand, you turned to face the fireworks. Summer. Wasn't it truly a wonderful season?

Quick little question: did anyone spot the trend in the chapter titles? Hint: the first chapter title mimics the title of a classic movie. Look up the genre that movie is in, and you'll find the inspiration for the other titles.