[01] Torn

"...I'm jealous, Jay."

Carlos' body stiffened as he said that, while his friend Jay looked at him with surprise. Silence came over the two.

Jay finally spoke. "Well, what can I say? I'm impressed. You never really had that kind of feeling before, or when you do, you're silent about it. Wow, Carlos, someone's being a life-changer here, eh?"

He turned around and spotted Evie, the "life-changer" he was pertaining to, and smirked.

Carlos blushed, putting his hands in the pockets of his shorts while looking down.

"You do like her," Jay said. "Unfortunately, she's already with someone else."

Carlos sighed. You're not making me feel any better, he thought.

Jay put a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Why didn't you act on it as soon as possible? You could've confessed to her before she was even in a relationship with Doug."

"Jay, she only thinks of me as a 'little brother.' No more, no less," Carlos said sadly.

"What about that kiss? That's not a thing you do with a person you consider a sibling." Jay raised an eyebrow.

Carlos' eyes widened.

"Th-that's different. It was an accident," he replied, blushing harder.

"But you liked it, didn't you?" Jay smirked again.

Carlos looked up at last and glared at him. "That is disgusting!"

Jay just laughed as Carlos attempted to smack him, but failed.

The two got interrupted when they heard someone clear her throat.

"Oh, 'sup, Mal?" Jay greeted the purple-haired villain kid, who had her arms crossed. "How's that throat going?"

Mal rolled her eyes, but the corner of her mouth twitched. "It's fine. Well, how's Carlos going?"

Carlos was still blushing, but it was only a faint shade of red now.

Jay scratched his nape. "I don't know. Maybe he's sick."

Mal twitched her lips. "I don't think so. Did anything... significant happen while I wasn't around?"

"Uh, Carlos here-"

"Hi, Mal!" Jay was cut off after Evie arrived and gave Mal a hug. Doug trailed behind her. Carlos looked away.

"Hey there, Evie." Mal's eyes moved to Doug and shot him a look. "And Doug."

Don't make me regret that my best friend chose you, she mentally said.

Suddenly, Doug looked nervous.

"M, don't scare him." Evie placed a hand on her hip.

Mal looked back at her and said, "I'm not."

"Wait, where did Dude go?" Carlos asked. "He was here with me earlier."

"Maybe he ran off to our dorm," Jay guessed.

"Let's go look for him," Carlos said.

And with that, he and Jay walked away without saying anything to the girls.

* * *

"There you are, Dude!" Carlos exclaimed, picking his dog up. "I almost forgot about you, sorry."

"Yeah, you got distracted," Jay said, flopping on his bed.

"Jay, you really aren't making me feel any better," Carlos said in a frustrated tone.

"Huh?"

"Nothing. Never mind."

Carlos petted his dog and fed him. He tried to erase his jealousy, but he just couldn't.

What was it about Evie that made him act and feel like this?

Carlos started to remember all the moments he shared with Evie. From the first day they met until they got to Auradon. The thoughts only made him sadder.

It was never going to be the same.