Chapter 4 - The Cafeteria

The cafeteria has a wide, open doorway. Stepping through I cringe at the obnoxiously loud echo of every students conversations being heightened through what feels like a megaphone. Irritably gritting my teeth - I decide that I have lost my appetite and no longer feel like eating today. I once again make my way to the opposing end of the immense cafeteria, trying to focus my attention to the sound of my own footsteps tapping pacefully against the pale laminate flooring as opposed to Cara Billingsley rocking on the steady but creaking back legs of her steel chair and the awful squeaking sound it made every time she knocked it against the worn out brick wall, peeling and crumbling the six coats of cream paint as she did so. I can't stand it anymore, for God's sake! Make. It. Stop! Before I knew what was happening, I was holding my hands against my head, trying to prevent any more sound from infiltrating my fragile ears. I let out a stifled grunt at my pain, although I don't believe it was heard as for the fact that everyone's attention was suddenly occupied by the, one by one, shattering windows of the cafeteria. Students were rushing to get away from the spewing glass coming out of each frame, people too afraid to leave the room as the exit door had windows within it.  Blood. Blood everywhere. Broken glass and injured students clinging to each other for help. Some in shock. Some in tears.

I was completely untouched, as I stood safely near the center of the cafeteria. What the hell just happened? The room fell silent, with the odd whimper from time to time by some of the petrified teenagers. I think it's over. As one of the lunch ladies emerged from behind the solitary of the kitchen, she raised her arms in a reassuring surrender, "Is everyone all right?"

I glance around the room, nobody had moved an Inch. "What just happened?!" Demanded James McDonald, he said what everyone was thinking, "We have notified emergency services, but I have to ask for everyone to please remain calm and not to leave the room." This woman is ridiculous, she just told everyone to stay calm when the windows just exploded? And this worked? How am I the only one freaking out over this? With a long, deep sigh, I took a chair and sat down.

It has been a full hour, paramedics and police investigators are littered everywhere. The room, already crowded enough, has become riddled with medical equipment and more students at the door trying to get in to see their friends. As I look up from my phone to where Cara Billingsley was sat , now , quivering erratically while getting stitches in her left arm. Two men began to stroll towards where I sat, one seemed as though he were in his 50's, full but well maintained grey beard, his hair including soft waves and curls. The other not looking too much older than 20. As the two men stopped before me, the younger one watched me through curious eyes, running his hands through his pampered brown hair and adjusting his suit. The older one spoke, "I am Detective Mark Anderson and this is my partner Randy Sullivan." He informed, showing a shiny badge and indicating to the younger detective, "What do you want?" I replied, dismissively, "Look kid," His demeanor immediately shifted, "We want to know what happened here, I'm only going to ask if you've seen anything?" I looked up at him, his eyes were blue, cold, aged, then I looked to his partner, Randy Sullivan... He appeared concerned, perhaps he was thinking about how Mark is in my personal space, pressuring me. I snapped my attention back to Detective Anderson, I sense distaste in his posture and tone, like he thinks I've done something wrong, "What are you accusing me of?" My tone aggressive, defensive and threatening. Before the detective could respond, Randy interrupted him, "Hey, what's your name?" He seemed calm, understanding - So that's how they're gonna do this, good cop, bad cop? "...Jake." I hesitated to speak, I don't know how to approach this, "Okay, Jake,  do you have any idea what happened to the windows?" He knelt down beside my chair, I found myself unable to break eye contact, and with a deep sigh, I responded, "I don't know, they suddenly exploded, one by one..."

"Was there a specific order?"

"It started from that corner and went around until they had all been destroyed." I glanced over to the furthest window on the left, the detectives followed my gaze and then turned their attention back to me, "Did you see anybody outside or -"

"No." I interrupted.