Mismatched Compatibility (28)

Start from the beginning

“Todd became very protective ever since Max got pregnant,” remarked Brian, shaking in silent laughter. “It's highly amusing,” he added, waving his hand.

I simply smiled.

I told them absolutely everything while we had lunch at Charmuel's Cuisine in Central Park. They were all very understanding that it made me feel selfish for keeping it from them. Then again, I've only started being part of this group a few years ago.

They all went through high school together. Perhaps I was insecure of the strong bond of their friendship that I wasn't fully confident. I found out that I was wrong. No one judged me here. I felt at ease now.

“Sorry we're late!” greeted Maxine cheerfully, waving at us as she and Todd approached our table.

“No, people are just arriving,” I assured her.

“What took you so long?” Kim asked Maxine.

“Were the boys out of control again?” groaned Karl, referring to High Jinks.

He was supposed to be seeing through their recording session today, but then I showed up and changed his plans. I insisted that he go back to Mantle Studios after lunch but Maxine said she'd do it. She composed the song they recorded today, anyway.

“No, they were perfect,” said Maxine, smiling at Karl. “We just ran into someone and had to help out.”

“A nuisance, more like,” added Todd, as he pulled out a chair for Maxine.

She sat and shook her head, as though she disagreed with his statement.

They say pregnancy makes women bloom. I most certainly think it's true, especially on Maxine's case. I've never seen her more beautiful. That's definitely saying something, considering she's an international artist.

Out of everyone in the gang, she was the only one who pursued a career in music. See, they formed a rock band when they were in high school.

However, staying in a band wasn't quite practical as a life-long career in our world. They had duties and responsibilities. The guys, particularly, needed to take over and run their family businesses.

Brian Wright (Luke's cousin) is in his second year taking up law in Columbia University, so that he could one day take over his father's law firm. Karl Andrews partnered with Josh Mantle (the heir of Mantle Studios) in producing music, now he manages the Manhattan branch here in the east coast.

“Did we miss anything?” asked Todd, taking a sip from his glass.

I heard from my father that Todd Samuels was considered a shark in Wall Street. He was so good in numbers that he could be a billionaire before he turned twenty-five, not including his wife and parents' fortune. Despite his intimidating reputation in the financial world, he sometimes wrote songs with the love of his life.

I loved hearing how he fell in love with Maxine. Since I was a hopeless romantic, I always thought of them when I was on the verge of losing hope in finding true love. The thought of them made me giddy and optimistic.

The story goes, Todd was quite coldblooded before Maxine came in the picture – not that he wasn't like that today. He didn't smile back then, and always made witty but snide remarks. She, on the other hand, was always sweet and kind. But she didn't back down from him even if she always ended up looking like an idiot. There wasn't a day that the two of them didn't bicker. Sooner of later, she got under his skin. Before they knew it, they were in love. The ice prince melted.

It was a long journey. But then again, they were only in high school when that happened. The fact that they lasted this long with their opposite personalities . . . It was very impressive.