Mismatched Compatibility (22)

Dana:

“I absolutely don't know what to say.”

“Say I'm not being naive,” I begged my best friend, Faith.

I updated her with everything that happened yesterday, talking on the phone while I tried to pack lightly. It wasn't going very well. Hence, it took me longer than I expected to get ready.

“You're not,” she assured me from the other end of the line.

I sighed in relief.

“You're being reckless – in a good way.”

I frowned. “How is being reckless any good?”

“For one, you're finally going out there and living your life. You're out of your comfort zone. You're finally taking risks, Dana!”

“Ethan helped me a great deal,” I reminded her.

I couldn't take all the credit.

“Don't stop, then.”

I don't think I can stop even if I wanted to.

“Faith,” I started, taking a deep breath, “I think I'm falling for him.”

She didn't respond.

I thought that it was about time that I accepted it. I've been getting signals from my inner self here and there, but I didn't think it was quite possible to actually fall for someone I've only known for a few days.

Whirlwind romances only took place in films and novels. There was no chance that it could happen in real life. Or at least, there was no chance it would survive for long in reality. Because something that happened just as fast could end just as fast.

Perhaps Ethan was wrong. Maybe we weren't soul mates.

What if we were Fate's mistake, after all?

I zipped up my beige carry on Gucci luggage and looked around the room to check if I've forgotten something, while I waited for my best friend's response. When she still haven't, I looked at my phone to see if the line ended. It didn't.

“Faith?”

“Yes, I'm here,” she automatically said, as though waking up from a trance. “Just – I just – What? You've only known him for two days!”

“Three,” I corrected a-matter-of-factly.

“Still!”

“I know, I know,” I admitted shamefully, picking up my shoulder bag, the small luggage I packed for today, and sunglasses.

“I'm speechless,” said Faith.

I sighed as I walked out of the room and closed the door behind me. I climbed down the stairs in silence. Neither of us spoke. Just as I reached the bottom step, I heard a beep from outside.

“I have to go,” I told Faith. “He's waiting for me.”

“All right,” she replied. “Just . . . make the best of today.”

“Okay.”

I opened the front door, and saw Ethan's car out in the driveway. For a moment, I grew excited of what today had in store for us. I would forget all my worries and just enjoy my time with him.

My feet started to move towards the car, then Faith added something.

“But you have to go back to reality tomorrow.”

I immediately stopped walking.

“You mean, go back to the City?” I asked carefully.

“Yes,” she confirmed, “before your feelings get any deeper. You can't honestly think this will work out in the future, do you?”