Chapter 5

As light flooded the small den, Moon could see Ursa digging.

His fur was turning a dusty brown color as he tore up the dry dirt.

Moon struggled to her paws and walked over to the forest, sniffing the air.

Thistle had already left to go hunt. Now that she was caring for two, she was away longer that she had before.

Moon sat out side Ursas upcoming den.  It was almost big enough for him to get inside, but hed have to make it bigger as he grows.

"Hey Ursa! Mind if i help?"

"But your hurt Moon, do you really want to?" Ursa paused his digging. The hole has very messy. The walls were rigid and the ground was powdery.

"Sure! I'll be back in a minute or two though. I have to get something!"

Moon trotted into the forest, picking up a big wad of moss.

Moon found a water hole and soaked water up with the moss.

She took it back to Ursas den and squeezed it over the dirt. 

She patted the dirt down with her paws, making the floor smooth.

"Hey! Thats a good idea! I'll do that with the walls!" Ursa scrambled out of the den to fetch more water for the two of them.

As Thistle came back dragging a baby caribou, Ursa and Moon had finished the den..

"I brought some food everybody! Sorry it's not much."

Thistle and moon ate a bit, then giving the rest to Ursa. Ursa needed a lot more food than they did, and they could hunt small things later.

After the three ate, Ursa headed into his den for a nap. Thistle and Moon headed towards the forest.

Everyday Moon was starting to feel better. Even though she still hurt, it didn't hurt to bad. If she wanted to, she could run.

"Thistle..." Moon jogged behind Thistle.

"Why do I feel this way?"

Thistle stopped in her tracks. "What do you mean?"

Moon swallowed. "Why do I want to kill Talon so badly? Every time I think about him.. I just wish I was able to kill him last time we met."

"Moon, sweetie, thats normal. After what you've been through, I'd  be more surprised if you didn't want to kill Talon." Thistle turned around.

"But listen, vengeance is a very evil thing. Your mind is clouded now, but once he's dead, what then are you going to do?"

Moon looked at her shocked into silence.

All this time, she just wanted to kill him.. but after that, what will she do?

"Then.. what should I do?" Moon looked at Thistle.

"Well.. I can't tell you what to do, but I can say to listen to your heart." Thistle gave Moon a lick on the shoulder. "So how about we go and hunt?"

Moons eyes shined. She hasn't been hunting since she met Thistle.
"Yes! Let's go!"

Moon raced through the forest, unable to contain her excitement.

Thistle caught up. "Moon, calm down! You're scaring all the prey away." Thistle laughed.

Moons ears twitched and she glanced at the bushes. The bush shook and Moon gave chase.

A white rabbit squealed and tried to run away. However, Moons teeth were already sinked into its throat, killing it.

Moon picked up her prize and trotted happily back to Thistle, tail wagging.

"Great job!" Thistle praised, giving moon a lick on the head.

The two hunted for a while more, and was able to take down a small elk.

The two drug the large carcass back to the cave. Ursa was just waking up and stretched out of his den.

He yawned, his teeth were pointy and could easily kill Moon if Ursa wanted to kill her. Moon was glad Ursa was on her side.

Night was slowly approaching. The stars were only just beginning the shine. Moon yawned before taking another bite of the elk.

She was so tired.  After she had her fill, her and Thistle curled up in their den. Ursa finished eating the remaining meat and went into his den as well.

The night was quiet and lonesome. Moon watched a firefly dance around the sky. Although she was tired, she couldn't sleep.

She looked at the sky. The stars were shining their brightest. She thought of her mother and father. Could they be up there watching her from the heavens? She wondered whether they would be proud of her or not.

She remembered the look of horror plastered on their dead faces. Their eyes were wide and their necks were slashed open by sharp claws. The claws of Talon.

She remembered first meeting Talon. The two were inseparable. They told each other everything. It was only a year ago when he started acting strange.

He solved all his problems with violence. He thought that was always the answer. He told Moon, "No one can hurt me if I hurt them first." She laughed it off then, but Talon really believed it. He was bullied a lot as a pup and she sympathized with him, at the time anyways.

She should've stopped being friends with him then, but no matter what she did, he was always behind her. Following her like a lost puppy.

He would guilt her into hanging out with her, saying wolves would pick on him if Moon wasn't there. She always felt bad and hung out with him. Then when they grew up, Talon had been less dependent on her, and it grew to where Moon was dependent on Talon. She would vent to him, and he would listen.

It wasnt too long after that.. thats when everything changed. After Talon killed Moons parents, everyone in the pack ran away, fearing for their own lives. Moon tried the run too, but Talon pinned her down.

She struggled to get away, which caused her to dislocate and break her wings. She managed to get away and run while searing pain shot through her entire being.

She managed to escape though. Maybe her parents would be proud of her after all. The stars seemed to shine brighter. A star shot across the sky, heading to who knows where.

Moons eyes glistened and she got up. She had the sudden urge to chase it. Like it was drawing her in.

"I'm sorry Thistle, Ursa. I don't know why, but this is where I have to go." She quietly ran off, making sure not to disturb the others as the slept.

She followed the falling star across the forest. She wasnt sure where it was leading her, but she wanted to find out.

She jumped onto a rock and used the momentum to get into the air. She flapped her wings. This was the highest she's ever flown since her wings healed.

She flew after the star as quick as her wings would allow.