Monday, October 9 Cont'd & Wednesday, October 11

Start from the beginning

"Why aren't they?" I asked, trying to keep my voice level. 

"Well they had this friend, Matt, and it was around his birthday and the three of them were celebrating and got drunk.  Matt was dating Emma and wanted to go see her.  I guess Skylar thought he could drive so they got in the car and went and got in a car accident.  Matt died, Jared and Skylar were fine but Skylar I guess got depressed and tried to kill himself and basically they just drifted apart because of the whole situation."  She said, her voice was quiet as she spoke.

I didn't say anything.  It was relatively close to what Emma told me, so that was good.  At least who ever told her decided to tell the truth.  I still didn't like either of them but for now I guess they were all right.

"Are you excited for homecoming?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Sort of." She said letting out a sigh.  "I just don't want there to be drama or anything.  You know?  I mean Skylar flipped when he asked me to go with him and I said I was already going with you.  Which is what I want to do. And now if you and Jackie are fighting...it's going to be a mess."

I closed my eyes.  She was right.  I had to fix Jackie and I before homecoming so that everyone could enjoy it.  "Don't worry, I'll fix my mess before."  I listened to Maci's rhythmic breathing.  I was so happy I had a sister that I could be this close with.  I'm glad I wasn't one of those guys who couldn't stand their sibling.  At the end of the day I always had Maci to fall back on and she always had me.  "Actually can you call her and ask her to come over?  I'd do it myself but I doubt she'd answer my call."

"Yeah." She said, wiggling her phone out of her pocket.  I watched as she texted Jackie.  A minute later her phone buzzed and Jackie was on her way.  "You should take her to the cider mill down the street."

I looked down at Maci even though all I could see was the top of her head.  "Oh?"

"She'd like it." She said, pushing herself off of me.  She gave me a kiss on the cheek and left my room. 

I laid in bed, my side still warm from Maci laying there.  Was she trying to give me advice to win Jackie over?  Or was I really that far down on Jackie's shit list that Maci was trying to hint that I had to butter her up to get back to semi-neutral territory?  I rolled off my bed, brushing my teeth, fixing my hair, and changing my shirt.  I sprayed a little more cologne on and grabbed a hoodie before I went downstairs to wait for Jackie.  I flopped down on the couch; I could hear Maci playing her guitar.  I flicked the TV on, kicking my feet up on the coffee table.  I turned the TV on mute, listening to the faint sound of Maci from upstairs.  In Florida, we had a sunroom where Maci's piano was.  It was like a scene out of a movie every time she was in there playing.  The sun would always be shining through the windows, illuminating the white room and reflecting off the finish on the piano.  Maci always got so into playing, you could watch her for minutes before she'd realize you were there.  I think that was one of the things I missed the most.    My head snapped to the door as I heard the door handle rattle.  I jumped from the couch as it swung open and my dad walked through.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I was little disappointed that it wasn't Jackie. 

"Hey son." My dad said.

"Hi."

He set his briefcase down and kicked off his dress shoes as he unbuttoned his suit jacket.  "Waiting for someone?"

"Yeah." I said, following him into the kitchen.  "Jackie's coming over."

"Are you two dating?" He asked, slipping out of his suit jacket and rolling up the sleeves to his dress shirt. 

"No, we're just hanging out." I really didn't want to tell my dad what I had done.  He'd be so disappointed me in.  He raised me to be different then that and seeing how ashamed he'd be would kill me.  "Hey dad?"  I asked, deciding I'd just change the subject.