Chapter 52: Skepticism

Start from the beginning

Kai nodded as he looked around the docks to scope out the other competitors. "Tournament of Elements. You think all of them have powers like us?" The fire ninja mused aloud.

"When I asked my dad about it, he got suspicious. Like there's something he's keeping from me." Lloyd's gaze lingered on you as he said that. 

You can get at what he's hinting at but you aren't gonna budge so easily.

Looking out to the sea, the ferry approached the harbor, making a stop at the end of the docks. The crew members laid out a plank of wood allowing one of their bosses to cross over.

The man wore red and purple clothes with decorative snake symbols. His black hair was tied back into a low ponytail, shifting as he walked with his chin slightly raised proudly.

You lined up with everyone else to wait to be admitted onto the boat. Mindroid was grumbling to himself as he held your duffed bag over his shoulder. The nindroid stubbornly insisted on carrying it.
He was smaller in size but not strength.

"We don't know yet if this is a trap. Wherever they take us, we have to stick together" Lloyd whispered to you and the ninja.

Reaching up, you touched the spot next to your neck. Petting Arie's head as she hid under your jacket. The lavender snake absolutely refuses to come out and look any of these thugs in the eye. 

The fact that she's never acted like this before speaks volumes. 

When it was your turn in line to come aboard, you were stopped.

"Problem?" You raised an eyebrow. Finally up close, you were able to get a better look at this guy. Deduction: Him and these other goons really like snakes.
He is also really old.

"The note said tell no one or else there'd be consequences" The old guy said in a condescending tone as he gestured to Mindroid.

"He's not competing" You explained. "I'm sure there's no problem with having one more spectator."

His eyes flickered from Mindroid before staring yours down. 
You stared back stubbornly like he was challenging you. Maybe he was or trying to get a read on you.

Half a minute goes by before he shrugs his shoulders apathetically before stepping aside to let you go.

"Welcome aboard..." He said with a stale smile as you pushed past and boarded the ferry with Mindroid.

"Master Chen will be charmed to see you've accepted his offer. A master of spinjitzu shall fare favorably in his tournament." You heard the guy greet Jay right behind you.

"We're not here to fight. We're here to save a friend" The blue ninja corrected.

The guy raised an eyebrow "Don't be so petty, Master Jay. Everyone here has something to fight for" He snatched Jay's nunchucks from his duffle bag.

"Chopsticks. I'm a big eater" Jay chuckled guiltily as his weapon got tossed into the ocean below.

The ninja boarded the ship with no other issues.

"Lloyd, wait!" You heard Garmadon called out warning his son
"If you get on that boat, you may never return." 

"What are you doing here dad?" Lloyd questioned as his father approached.

Garmadon went on to explain "Master Chen is a dangerous man who should never be trusted. Whatever he promised you, do not believe him." 

"Lord Garmadon. It's been a while. It's Sensei now, correct? I can't remember" the guy greeted him with a condescending remark.