Chapter Nine

LYDIA

It had been two days since the kiss at the ball, and I'd been avoiding John and Winston like the plague. John for obvious reasons, and Winston because he would find a way to talk some sense into me and probably call me an idiot or something. I was vexed Viggo wasn't at the party because I wanted to kill him and move on, but coffee always made me feel better, and I had a favourite little shop just off the beaten path, so hardly any tourists came in.

Today I was in the mood for a simple black coffee, though usually, I was partial to something more milky and sugary. I'd already devoured the blueberry muffin, and now I was debating being greedy and going to buy a second one because they were delicious and I'd never been one to care about my weight. However a shadow looms over my table distracting me from the baked goods display.

'Is this seat taken, Lydia?' Viggo questions.

I look up and glare at the older Russian, 'even if I said it was you'd still take it.'

He brushes me off and sits down, his men trying and failing to blend in. I tap my nails on the table and wait for him to say something; I wasn't going to initiate any conversation with this man.

'Ask what's on your mind child,' he says, sounding rather relaxed.

I sigh, 'why are you here after you killed my father?'

Viggo straightens his shirt cuffs before locking eyes with me, 'your father broke a contract by protecting Jonathan. I'm pretty sure he raised you to always see a contract through, am I correct?'

I bite my lip and nod; he told me if I was going to get into the business I needed to see contracts through because otherwise I'd make enemies of the wrong people just like he'd done.

Viggo reaches out a hand to rest on top of my mine, 'I see the despair in your eyes, Lydia. There is one common denominator in all your recent misery.'

I pull my hand away from his, 'what's the common denominator Viggo?'

'Jonathan, though I heard the two of you made a rather cute couple the other night. Even shared a rather steamy kiss after you took out so many of my men,' he replies emotionless.

I tilt my head slightly, 'what do you want Viggo?'

He chuckles, 'straight down to business, just like your father. It's simple; I want you to pick up your father's contract and kill John Wick.'

I was a little taken aback by how blunt he was in asking me to kill John, 'why would I kill him?'

Viggo's eyes turn dark, and he lowers his voice, 'you deserve closure for your father, and to be able to move on with your life. Don't you deserve to be happy after all these years Lydia? John will never get over Helen, and if she were here with us now he'd kill you in a heartbeat if he had to choose. Tell me I'm wrong.'

I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs that he was wrong and he didn't know John as I did. But I'd heard stories about John and Helen over the years and how it was the happiest John had ever been. I was a distraction and nothing more, sure he could come to love me down the line, but Helen would always hold a place in his heart. And he would kill me if she was alive, that was the harsh truth I didn't want to face, but Viggo had slapped me in the face with it.

I was torn between taking Viggo's offer and killing John, it would make my life a lot easier, but John was my first real love, and I could never bring myself to pull the trigger on him even if he could pull it on me.

'What if I can't kill him?' I ask softly.

The dark expression behind Viggo's eyes fades when he senses the defeat in my voice, 'I can offer you a one-way ticket out of town. John will eventually die; he's not immortal like the rumours say. If you leave New York you can never come back Lydia.'

I watch him get up and slide a business card across the table. I stare down at it, not knowing what to make of the offer. The bell above the door rings indicating that Viggo had left, I suddenly wasn't in the mood for another blueberry muffin anymore. This was a pretty big decision and one I didn't think I could rush into; I needed to go back to The Continental and talk to Winston.

TIME SKIP

I'd spoken to Winston, and my decision was still pretty unclear. He insisted I talk to John, which was why I was stood outside his suite door with the key Winston handed to me. I take a deep breath and slide the card through the door before entering unannounced.

What I expected to find was John alone moping, but what I ended up seeing was a sight which made me want to gouge my own eyes out. John was in the arms of another assassin. Perkins and I went quite far back, and I considered her a confidant in this murky world, but now I was watching her and John make out in front of me, and I was very uncomfortable.

'Lydia let me explain—'

'Enough Jonathan, I just came to say you can have Viggo and I'm done with all your shit. I'm leaving town, and I never want you to contact me again,' I hiss, cutting him off. I came here not knowing what I wanted to do, but seeing John in the arms of someone else made up my mind for me.

Feeling tears begin to sting my eyes, I turn quickly and leave the suite, slamming the door shut behind me. I wait until I'm in the safety of the lift before I let the first tears fall, I should never have come back to New York I was very happy in England. For years I'd daydreamed about what it would be like to be with John, but now my heart was broken, and that sucked. He would never be able to move on from Helen, and it appeared he could easily move on from me. Maybe the arrogant Jonathan had never left, I needed to go back to hating him.