Chapter Twenty-Six | I Hate You, I Love You

Start from the beginning

   After a moment Draco seemed to regain his composure and he shook his head. Hermione took a deep breath and tried to feel relieved when he smirked and raised an eyebrow. "Do you have so little faith in me?"

That snapped Hermione out of her thoughts and she blinked a couple times to focus on his face. "What?"

"You think my actions were careless. Do you think I'm so reckless?"

Hermione frowned and shook her head. "I never said that, Draco." He scoffed and Hermione stared at him in disbelief. "Why would you think that?" She asked in a slightly hurt voice due to his offensive attitude.

"You said you thought I'd get into trouble." Draco raised his eyebrows and chuckled but did not sound whole-hearted.

   Hermione smiled slightly, but it was a half-hearted smile. Draco wasn't acting like his usual self. She'd seen him not an hour ago and noticed he had been acting a bit strange, but his behavior towards her was the same as always. Now he was acting as if he were uncomfortable even being near her. Hermione blinked and stared at him nervously as he shook his head and laid an arm over her shoulders. Draco's hand wrapped around her arm and he began walking, pulling her along with him. Hermione shrugged slightly, trying to shake the odd feeling that settled over her at his touch. Somehow it didn't feel like it usually did.

Shaking her head, Hermione continued to walk by his side. They walked in silence for a long few minutes and she began to wonder where he was leading her. They were not heading towards the library, nor in the direction of the school grounds. They didn't have any upcoming classes so the question still stood, where was he taking her? Maybe he had something planned. Perhaps that was why he was acting to nervously. Hermione looked up at Draco and when he noticed her gaze he raised an eyebrow.

   "What?" He questioned demandingly and almost accusingly.

"Oh, n... nothing." She said with a slight stutter and Draco smirked and scoffed. Hermione raised her eyebrows in slight shock by how insensitive he was being. "Is something the matter?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "I'm just sick of it."

"Sick of what?" Hermione asked, slightly afraid and not really wabting to hear his answer.

"The constant stress."

"Oh Draco. You know you can always come to me if you need help. Whether you need someone to talk to or if it's an issue with school. I can always help you study or help you with your homework if you wanted..."

"See, there it is!" Draco burst out in a rough voice, taking Hermione by surprise.

"There what is?" Hermione asked, a bit shocked and shrugged his arm away from her shoulders.

"You, acting like you are smarter than me! It's preposterous and completely outrageous! And it's annoying honestly."

"I never said I was smarter than you!" Hermione said angrily and defensively.

"Oh no, you didn't have to. It's obvious you think your better than me! Why is that so? Huh? Is it because your a Gryffindor, or maybe the fact that your best friends with the famous Harry Potter. Well it's absurd! Your a muggleborn, your blood could never be as pure as mine! You will never be as magically inclined as I am, or any other pureblood wizard or witch for that matter."

  Hermione stared at Draco in disbelief. How could he say such things? She'd never claimed to be smarter or better than him. He knew that she was insecure about her magical abilities because of her blood status, so why would he be so harsh? Hermione blinked rapidly to keep her emotions in check then looked up to Draco. He looked upset. Hermione cleared her throat to talk to him again. She would give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps it was just the stress talking. "What's stressing you?"