Chapter Nine | Shallow

Shallow, by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper

Draco marched down the hall to the spot where they had met before. Sure enough, there stood Granger, her nose stuck in a book as she made her way to the library. Or at least, thats where he assumed she was headed. Where else could she be going this early in the morning? Besides, the library was her favorite place to be. He walked faster in order to catch her then hesitated. He knew she didn't want to talk to him. Draco knew she was probably still furious with him since their last encounter but he needed to talk to her. He wanted to make things right and he needed her forgiveness. But he also needed answers and he needed them now.

Draco shook his head then hurried after her. "Granger!" When she did not stop he called louder. "Granger!"

Without looking back she called over her shoulder. "Go away, Malfoy!" And her pace quickened.

Draco stopped in his tracks, aghast. The hatred in her voice startled him. "No!" He said, changing the tone of his voice halfway through the word.

She kept walking. "Granger!" He called even louder.

She turned around, her eyes wide. "What?!" She asked impatiently.

Draco smirked slightly then became solemn and his tone became urgent. "Where did you get this?" He demanded, swinging the book in her face.

Granger smiled mockingly. "Oh, so you liked it?" She met his eyes with scorn. "I thought a pureblood such as yourself wouldn't be caught dead reading a muggle fairy tale!"

"Don't be coy with me!" He growled, annoyed with her bold and triumphant attitude.

She looked at him seriously, obviously annoyed. "Malfoy, I haven't the slightest idea of what your talking about!!"

Voices began to carry down the hall and Draco looked up as shadows approached around the corner. Draco growled and grabbed her by the arm, and pulled her around the corner then pinned her against the wall. Guilt ripped his consciousness for his harsh demeanor but he needed answers and she wasn't going to listen if he didn't make her. Draco held her arms with a firm grip and he looked her dead in the eye. "Where did you get that book?"

"I already told you! It's a muggle fairytale." She struggled against his grip then grunted. "Just an old fantasy."

"It's no fantasy. It's an old wizard's tale, and it's only been known among pureblood families. So what I want to know is, how did you get that book and where did it come from?"

Granger stopped struggling. She looked unwillingly frightened by his harsh demeanor but slight awe entered her gaze. "You mean... it's real?"

"Is that not what I just said? Now answer me." His voice became softer and he tried to calm himself.

"I already told you." She spoke the words slowly, mockingly. "It's a famous book among muggles, it was written by C.S. Lewis, a British author, and it's sold worldwide. Now let me go, Malfoy!" She looked him in the eye and Draco's grip loosened and Hermione jerked from his grasp. The spite in her eyes made him flinch and Draco shook his head and released her. She looked at him with contempt and anger crossed her features. Their eyes met for a few brief seconds and he could see the pain and loathing in her eyes.

Draco looked away and paced in a circle, rubbing his forehead. How was he going to go through with this? Granger stood there watching him with faux disgust but amid her anger was curiosity. Draco sighed, he knew what he had to do, but he didn't know exactly how to do it. Then, deciding to come right out and just say the words, he turned and faced her. "Listen, Granger. I... I'm sorry. I never should have called you that." She looked at him with amazement but then her expression softened.