The Battle For Asgard

Start from the beginning

Now that Loki looked, he could see what the Gatekeeper meant. Apart from Thor and the Lady Sif and the Warriors Three, all of who he expected, there were eight Light Elves and two others, clearly from Earth all still gathered where the Rainbow Bridge had deposited them.

"Are you alright, my friend?" Thor asked, resting a hand on Heimdall's shoulder.

"I just need a minute," Heimdall replied.

"Well, I must say, you kept up your end of the bargain," Loki commented.

"Bargain? What bargain is this?" the human in the red cape, blue robes and a goatee that reminded Loki of that annoyance, Stark, asked.

"And who might you be?" Loki asked interestedly.

"My name is Doctor Stephen Strange," the man replied.

"He is a Sorcerer from Midgard," Thor supplied.

"Really? You know magic?" Loki asked, now a lot more interested in the man.

"Yes," Doctor Strange replied with some determination in his voice.

Loki raised an eyebrow. It seemed the man wanted to challenge him. Which could be quite fun. Under other circumstances. Of course, if the right opportunity presented itself ...

"And I'm Carol Danvers," the woman in the red and blue suit with gold piping and a star on her chest reminiscent of the Kree military said.

"Charmed, I'm sure," Loki replied.

"You never answered, Brother," Thor said. "What bargain are you talking about?"

As part of his answer, Loki swept a hand to indicate that Thor look inside the ancient fortress.

"Asgard isn't going to be a safe place to be, not with Thanos' army about to begin a war against our sister's army of undead Asgardian warriors," Loki replied. "I know a way off the planet that doesn't involve the Bifrost. Heimdall's contribution was to ensure that the people would be protected when we moved. He brought us ... you and your friends."

"With two armies standing between here and the Gateroom, I can see how we'd need another option," Thor nodded.

"If I am correct, the Gateroom no longer exists," Heimdall said as he pushed himself to his feet.

"Explain that!" Volstagg insisted.

"Just before Heimdall summoned you, Thanos' ship fired on the planet. It was centred on the where the Gateroom was," Loki replied.

"By the All Father," Fandral whispered.

"Then our task is clear. We protect the people as Loki leads us through one of his secret passages," Sif stated, drawing her sword from its resting place in her shield.

"Easier said than done, I suspect," Loki replied.

"Leave that to us, you just lead the way," Thor instructed.

"How many people are we talking about?" Doctor Strange asked.

"More than five thousand," Heimdall replied.

"That's not going to be easy, moving that many," Carol stated. "And it's going to take a lot of time."

"We do what we must," Thor replied. "Let's get them organised.

Loki watched his brother stride into the great hall. No sooner had he been recognised than a susurration swept the room as people scrambled to their feet and surged towards him.

"He truly is their King, isn't he?" Sif said.

Loki looked at her and then back at Thor and sighed. As much as he played at being King, there truly was no doubt who the people preferred, who they loved, who the true King of Asgard was.