after school| 𝒶𝒻𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓈𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓁

My heart was beating fast as the professor kept droning on about grammar and punctuation. He's behind me right now. The person I have to-

"Daniel? What do you think?" Professor Edwards smiles at me.

I thought he said he wouldn't call on me. I look around, trying to hint that maybe he should call on someone else, but he still stares at me expectantly.

"I don't know the answer or the question."

He chuckles and some of the class does to.

"Maybe pay attention next time and stop digging in your desk alright?"

I automatically nod my head but I feel my cheeks burning. The front seat wasn't a good idea.

"Now! let's move on to our next topic!...."

The bell rings and I check my schedule to find out that I have gym next with Coach Evans. Great. I want to spend less time in there than I have to. I spot my target, Phil, leaving the room and I hurry to catch up with him.

I tap his shoulder. "Um, Phil Lester?"

He turns with a curious look on his face. "That's me?"

My heart was racing a mile a minute. Being close to someone that is messing with a situation much bigger than he knows is terrifying.

"I just moved here, and joined journalism, you're my new case- I mean topic."

He stares at me for a minute then pushes up glasses. "I thought Lily was my interviewer, is she okay?"

A selfless man this one is. "Of course! She's just fine, but she just rather do photography."

That didn't come out the way it was supposed to. His face falls a little. "I-I mean... She was very upset to pass you on to me, but um...I really love interviewing people and you."

What was that?

"Not like love you! I mean we just met !and I don't know what I'm saying, would you like me to interview you?"

It seems to work because he laughs loudly. "Well as long as Lily is happy. When do we meet?"

"Today after school?"

His eyes go far away as if he's thinking. Then, he returns to the present and nods. "Sure thing, see you after school. Meet me in the courtyard at the third bench."

He walks away and I take some deep breaths until my heart stops racing. I did it! It wasn't completely bad, one step closer to going home. A bell trills overhead that makes me jump out of my skin. I fish out the schedule from my back pocket and start walking outside to find the gym.

•••

My school uniform was drenched in sweat since I refused to wear used gym clothes. Everyone kept a reasonable distance away from me in World Languages when I came in. One person even doubled up in a seat with another.

I was too busy thinking about my interview with Phil after school to be worried about it though. I didn't have a phone and that was sure to raise some suspicion.

I removed my blazer and got a whiff of sweat in my nose. I really needed to freshen up.

"May I please use the restroom?" I raise my hand.

Professor Hall gives me a bright smile and wags her finger at me. "En Español."

I freeze. I've never had to learn any languages. My parents know about twenty of them from having to communicate with foreigners and traveling to places. Me on the other hand, stayed home with the maids and servers.