Chapter Three

A woman, with eyes the color of the moon and skin as pale as its light, was standing before me, wearing nothing but her flesh. She seemed familiar, but my memories of her were sharp and fleeting, like tiny slivers of broken glass.

Broken memories.

I remember...the moon. Always the moon. And figures made of vines of starlight. Beasts of shadow. Roaring black fire.

These broken memories aren't mine.

Who are you?

The woman smiled warmly, and then the darkness around us slowly started to consume her, covering her pale skin with a black coat, but still she stood, until she was just a silhouette, and only the glow of her eyes and smile remained.

The darkness then started to wrap around me, and I gasped as dozens of fingers pressed hard, digging firmly into my flesh. Whispers in my head. Many. Incoherent. Deep and soft, men and women.

Who are you?

The woman's mouth moved, but I couldn't hear her. Not over these whispers in my head.

Who am I?

The woman in darkness held out her hand, her fingers curled, twisting, and the whispers turned to screams of agony.

...

My eyes snapped open. I squinted, my eyes burning, because the light blazing through the curtains was just too damn bright.

"Stop," I pleaded to the construction worker pounding away in my skull with their industrial jackhammer.

When the pain became somewhat bearable, I attempted to open my eyes again. The first thing I saw was the tall glass of water along with the bottle of Advil on my bedside table, and I all but snatched the contents up. I popped the top, tossed in two pills, and washed them down with the cool water. I then drained the whole glass to quench my dry mouth.

Placing the glass down, I looked over and saw that my husband's side was empty.

"God," I groaned, as I am swept with a wave of nausea. Ignoring my building migraine, I climbed out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom.

One hot shower later, I was trudging downstairs in sweats and a faded out Uni shirt, my damp blonde curls pulled from my face. As I headed towards the kitchen, I could hear whistling. Stepping through the door, I saw a nicely formed posterior poking out from behind the fridge's door. It was shaking to the beat the owner was whistling as they rummaged through the fridge.

I pointedly cleared my throat, and there is a thud and a yelp. Fergus looked up at me from over the door, rubbing the back of his head. When he spotted me, he smiled, and my heart jumped. He was certainly a handsome man. He had a mop of sandy brown hair that was cut into the same hairstyle that he had back in high school. He tall, slim, and he had bronzed skin and eyes an exotic green with flecks of grey.

Fergus was dressed casually; I knew that he was getting ready to leave to meet up with his small group of close friends. For a while now, they've talked about a new project they were working on, and Fergus was one of their graphic designers.

"Good morning," I said as I approached him.

"Morning, sweetie," he said. We shared a quick peck. "How is the migraine?"

"It's better," I replied. "Thank you for the reliever, hon." And to properly thank him, I pulled him down for a longer, deeper kiss. When I pulled away, he was panting, and he had a dazed look in his eyes.

"I...I uh..."

I simply smiled at him. Fixing the crooked collar of his shirt, I asked, "Where are the boys?