Chapter Seventy Five

Start from the beginning

Sasuke cut him off. "Please don't say you forgive me." he finally looked at him. "After everything I've done to you, all you ever do is forgive. Is it so much to ask for you to hold a grudge for once in your life?" Sasuke said in a voice only just above a whisper and which held still more guilt. Guilt but not remorse. Guilt because he had left Naruto alone. He had allowed his friend who had done nothing but give, to feel the agony that once hardened his heart and turned his path away from one of honor. He knew very well what he meant to the Uzumaki, that he was all he had left at the time. And yet he willingly died and abandoned Naruto to a life of solitude. Not remorse however, because given the same circumstances, they both knew he would do it again.

"Well you didn't die after all so really, there are no broken promises to forgive anyway. Besides, now I can only understand you all the more." Naruto said with blinding optimism. Sasuke gave him a small, rather forced, smile and obliged to the request pleading in his eyes, a request to drop it.

"So, what happened? Where are we? They said this the Leaf?" he asked. Naruto remembered that Sasuke had been being mind controlled for probably this entire time, and if he was to guess, Naruto would say Madara hadn't filled him in.

Naruto chuckled nervously. He scratched at the back of his neck. "Ok, don't freak out, but we went back in time." he said.

Sasuke stared at him blankly. "Pardon?" Naruto just nodded awkwardly. He didn't elaborate. The Uchiha scrutinized him as if trying to scare him into confessing his prank or something. He didn't. Of course he didn't because Sasuke couldn't even remember the last time Naruto had pulled a prank. Or the last time mischief had danced in his eyes.

"I see." said Sasuke solemnly. "When are we then?" he recalled vaguely a hazy memory of someone who looked like Naruto, but wasn't. And also Kakashi. But like, if Kakashi was about a foot and a half shorter. He didn't know if it was real or just a dream.

"Oh. Well there's the Third War happening now. We were on a rescue mission regarding. . . another comrade." Naruto decided it was best not to mention Obito Uchiha just yet. "We kinda just happened upon you actually. I thought you were dead though, otherwise I would have come sooner." Naruto rambled on. His mind was too exhausted to focus on a single line of thought. "But it's still the Third Hokage's rule. It's about two years before we are actually born so. . ."

Sasuke sighed. "Alright. And I suppose you are trying to change our future then. Divert our war."

Naruto smiled but it was halfhearted. "That about sums it." he said.

Sasuke opened his mouth to ask something but then hesitated. ". . . How. . . how is he?"

Naruto smiled softly. "He's doing good last I checked. The little guy is so cute it almost hurts. Your father started his training recently and he's due to start the academy in a couple years." he said quietly.

Sasuke nodded. "He's about three now isn't he?" he asked looking at the wall again, away from his friend.

Naruto had sympathy for him. He was always to avoid his emotions, but they always showed when he spoke of Itachi. "Four actually."

"Four." Sasuke whispered. "How about. . ."

"Your mother seems happy. You look just like her, ya know. And Fugaku, well I've only met him a few times but. . . I don't know. I think I've always had this image of him in my mind. I always imagined him to be some kind of tyrant or monster or something." Naruto confessed, picking at his abused cuticles as he did. "He doesn't quite live up to it though. He's. . . not kind exactly, but he's a good man."

Sasuke's next breath shuttered on the way out. "They always said he was. I guess I just never believed them. From what I remember he was always just so strict and cold. Thank you Naruto. For looking out for them. Especially Itachi." he said.

"You would have done the same." Naruto replied.

Just then, the door slid open and Minato came in. He looked distinctly irritated and he was tucking his ID back into his vest pocket. He had probably been harassed by the security lady. She had done the same to Naruto but he had been too anxious to take offense by it.

The look wiped away when he laid eyes on Naruto. "Hey. It's pretty late. I sent Rin and Kakashi home, they need rest after the last few days. Thought I would check in on you." he said, smiling happily. Minato took in the room which looked like all the other rooms did except without a window, and leather straps attached to the metal bed frame. They weren't currently being used so they hung down, almost reaching to the floor.

Naruto turned around in his chair. "Hey, Minato."

Minato approached the bed. "Mind if I sit?" he asked Sasuke, gesturing to the chair beside Naruto. Sasuke just nodded. "I'm Minato Namikaze by the way." the jounin introduced himself. He held out a hand and Sasuke shook it awkwardly. His pale hand was cold and calloused.

"Sasuke Uchiha." his voice too, Minato was surprised to find was rather icy and stiffly formal. It was very contrasting to how he had been earlier when the seals had been removed. He decided it wasn't wise to comment on that incident though. Uchiha pride and all.

"Naruto has told me a lot about you." Minato said, teasingly; trying to keep the mood light.

Sasuke tensed up. He glanced at Naruto who nodded reassuringly. Just a slight movement of his head. So fractional. But it conveyed that Minato knew. Who they were that is. Where they were from.

Sasuke honestly didn't know how to respond to that. "You too." he said uncomfortably. Naruto snorted at his awkwardness and Sasuke glared at him. "Well actually, he hasn't got the chance yet but I bet I'll hear it all later. I'll probably die for real before before I get him to shut up." he deadpanned.

Naruto kicked him. "Hey!"

Sasuke smirked at him. "Am I wrong?" he asked.

Naruto looked like he was going to deny it. Instead he scowled and kicked his legs up on the bed, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms childishly.

Sasuke smirked victoriously. "Idiot."

"Bastard." Naruto replied instantly. But his grin proved he didn't mean it.

"Loser."

"Asshole."

Instead of replying again, Sasuke scowled and shoved Naruto's feet down making him fall off his chair when he failed to catch himself in time.

Minato sweatdropped at their behaviour. "Ah, you know Naruto, when you said you two where like Kakashi and Obito, I couldn't quite picture it; but now. . . I think you guys might be worse." he said.

Still, Minato found it weird to see Naruto behave like this. He was being so childish and open. He was smiling and laughing so freely. Minato had only seen him like this on a few rare occasions but even then. . . there was just an ease abou him now that he had never seen. Still, it was nice to see him so happy. Even if he didn't yet trust Sasuke.