The Broken Chain

"Delta 52 Heavy, you are clear for push back. Taxi to runway 36 right." said the air traffic controller over our headsets.

"Roger, Delta 52 Heavy pushing back, and taxiing to runway 36 right." I replied. Finally, we're moving. We've been sitting at the gate for over an hour.

It's a beautiful August day in the very eventful year of 73. Not a cloud for miles. Our delay was not due to the weather, oh no. Some general aviation aircraft slid off a runway on landing. I don't know how, because the runways here at Charlotte are no shorter than 7,500 feet. Newbie.

We start taxiing to runway 36R. Though unfortunately, we're in a line. Yay, we'll be delayed even further.

I'm brought out of my thoughts by the metallic clicking sound of the keypad to the cockpit door. The door opens and in walks the chief flight attendant.

"Captain, status report?" she asked.

"Thats what the intercom's for Sharrol." I reply back.

"Yeah, yeah. I just like to be briefed in person." She says back, with an air of haughtiness.

"You hear that Ro? She likes to be briefed in person. We've got a real hot shot flight attendant on board." My first officer, Eddie, chimes in.

"Guys, sterile environment for takeoff, remember?" The flight engineer, Will, reminds us.

"Well anyway, we're next in line for takeoff at this point. Please go back and get the flight attendants in their jump seats." I tell Sharrol.

"Yes Captain." Sharrol says as she exits the cockpit.

"Lets go over the checklist  again, shall we? Let me see here," I say as I reach for the normal operating checklist.

"APU bleed?" I ask.

"Closed." Will replies.

"Seat belts and shoulder harness?" I ask, even though I obviously know that we all already have them on. Its just the SOP.

"On." Eddie and Will both respond.

"Flaps?" I call out.

"15, 15 green light. We are ready for takeoff Ro." Eddie says. My names actually Roan, but most just call me Ro. Including my flight crew.

But Eddie and I are especially close. Weve flown thousands of hours together. He's a good friend, and I'm always glad to be in the cockpit with him. While I only met Will about 9 months ago after I had transitioned to the new pride of Delta Airlines: the McDonnell Douglas DC-10.

I myself am more of a Boeing guy, having flown the 707 for years. However, last year I was one of the first to fly the new aircraft for Delta. Eddie just recently transitioned to the DC-10 a few months ago.

"It's good to be back in the cockpit with you Eddie, we have so much catching up to do." I jest.

"You're right about that." He replies back laughing.

"Don't forget about me!" Will jokes from the back.

"We wouldnt dream of it buddy." Eddie replied endearingly.

"Delta 52 Heavy, line up on runway 36 right. You are cleared for takeoff." Says the air traffic controller to us.

"Delta 52 Heavy cleared for takeoff on runway 36 right." I reply back.

We taxi onto the runway, "Delta 52 Heavy rolling." I radio to the controller.

I push the throttles forward, and the DC-10 starts barreling down the runway.