Chapter Eleven | Hall Of Fame

Start from the beginning

   Draco knew better, and stayed above the rafters, making his way around to where the Snitch would exit. He could see Potter dodging the wooden beams, trying to avoid being knocked off his broom and in the process being slowed down. But Draco didn't pay attention to Potter for long, for the snitch would be coming out soon. Sure enough, a few moments later, he saw a glint of gold and the small round ball came flying out of the rafters. Rearing his broom upwards, Draco took off, just feet away from the snitch. He reached out, his fingers inching closer when he was knocked off his broom by... Angelina Johnson?

The Gryffindor Chaser sped by, knocking Draco's broom out of balance and it tipped. Draco was jolted forward, over the front. He had little time to react. With on hand, he grasped the end of the broom handle before he could fall to the ground and with the other, he reached to grab the footrest. Struggling to keep ahold, Draco pulled himself up towards the broom but it remained stubborn and wouldn't budge, hovering in a vertical position. "This cursed broom!" He grunted, his hand slipping. Why did the stupid thing have to have a mind of its own?! He would surely fall to his death if he couldn't manage to get in a horizontal position.

    Upon hearing a gasp above the roaring crowd Draco's head snapped up and he saw her. Hermione looked up and he locked eyes with her. Her expression was worried and her eyes were scared. Then his hand slipped and she lurched forward, almost falling from the stands. "No!" He heard her cry, before he was able to regain his grip, but only he had noticed. The rest of the Gryffindor's were focused on Potter, who almost had the snitch in hand. Draco realized he had to do something and he had to do it fast, or Potter would get the snitch. He swung his leg up and over the brooms bipod, forcing the broom to lower under his weight.

   As soon as the broom was horizontal, it allowed Draco to swing his leg up and over the handle. Once was was back on his broom, Draco looked back to Hermione who sighed with relief before her eyes became wide and she screamed. She frantically yelled inaudibly and leaned forward, pointing behind him. Suddenly, he felt a piercing wave of pain shoot through his right arm. His broom spun rapidly in rigid circles and everything became a blur. Cradling his right arm close to his chest, Draco tried to steady his broom with his uninjured arm.

Lee Jordan, the game's announcer, spoke over the crowd. "Malfoy has been hit by a rogue bludger! He seems to have lost the use of his right arm but is remaining steady! After that last accident, he lost about five minutes! Still, Potter's lost the snitch and hasn't found it yet, so maybe that time wasn't lost!" Draco hadn't heard anything but five minutes. Had it only been five minutes? It felt like he had been dangling from that broom for hours.

   Draco struggled to keep his broom steady with only one arm. It was terribly difficult, his injured arm throwing off his balance. Then, before his broom had even come to a stop, a golden glint caught his eye. Not even attempting to come to a complete stop, Draco veered left, not taking his eyes off the snitch. Jordan roared above the cheers. "He sees it! Malfoy has spotted the snitch! After that bludger attack, I thought Malfoy was finished for sure!" Jordan shouted. Draco smirked. "Or so you'd hoped, Jordan." He muttered under his breath, not waiting a second longer to pursue the round golden ball.

Potter spotted the Draco and was already in pursuit. Draco cursed under his breath, why couldn't Jordan have kept his mouth shut. Typical Gryffindor, telling everyone so that Potter would know where Draco had seen the snitch. Well not this time, Draco wouldn't let Potter get the best of him. He pushed forward, leaning all of his weight into the broom. Potter was close but Draco could almost touch the snitch. He wrapped his legs around the broom tighter so he wouldn't fall again. Heaving all of his weight to the end of his broom, Draco lunged forward and reached out. He now had no hold on his broom, with one hand he reached for the snitch and the other crippled against his side. Draco had to be careful when shifting his weight.