The Primes

Jace

Jace raced across the field as fast as he could.

He had long stopped chanting but the darklings still chased him. He tried to think of a spell or anything to cast them back but nothing came to his panicked mind. 

His only thought was to run.

A boom of thunder shook the ground beneath his feet. The sky was lit by fierce bolts of lightning. 

Must be Ana. He thought.

He hoped the spell gave her the advantage that she needed to kill Ferox.

An advantage that may get him killed.

Something grabbed his ankle and he went down hard landing face first on the grass. He quickly flipped over and began scrambling backwards.

Right before his eyes a darkling appeared.

It was different from the others. It was bigger, more menacing. The black smoky apparition hovered over him peering down as if it could see him even though it lacked eyes.

Jace stared back unable to look away.

The smoke drifting from its body crept towards him.

The dark tendrils began to crawl all over his face, almost caressing him.

Jace was frozen in fear.

He was so distracted by the one darkling that he forgot he was being pursued by hundreds.

Suddenly dark hands burst from the earth beneath him. They latched onto his body holding him in place.

"HELP!" he managed to scream before the tendrils of smoke shot down his throat. He instantly began choking. The first darkling leaned towards him and smiled. Its sharp rooting teeth were so close he thought it was going to eat him.

Jace struggled against the hands holding him but realized too late that they weren't just holding him in place, they were pulling him down.

Panic only caused him to thrash more as the earth swallowed him.

This wasn't part of the plan.

Jace made a desperate attempt to free himself by bursting into flames but instead of chasing away the darklings it only drew more.

His power was attracting them. Not harming them.

He was out of options.

His entire body was almost under now.

Jace all but lost hope when an unexpected blinding white light appeared. The darklings screamed in sheer agony as they were blasted by the light and fled underground.

Jace had to close his own eyes tightly against it.

He thought the light was there to save him

Until his skin began bubble...

"AHHH" I screamed bolting awake in bed.

I immediately checked my arms for the boils I was certain was there but they were only wet with sweat. I couldn't help but sigh in relief. It's the same damn dream every night since the battle. I'm chased by darklings and saved by a white light, only to then be consumed myself by it. Since that day on the field I haven't been able to figure out where the light came from that saved me. All I know is I woke up after it appeared in my room with my mother peering over me. I assumed it had been her to save me but she never admitted it.