Chapter Two - Arabella

"They've been scouring the area for the past week and they have yet to discover any evidence suggesting that there's a compound hiding in that region," Aldric asserted, prodding his chubby pointer finger into the table repeatedly as he spoke.
She stared at the honeycomb brown walls behind him, finding the cracks running through the bricks more interesting than the conversation she was having with him. Rows of blood red banners hung proudly along the walls, overpowering the mostly barren room. Her father had never been one for humility, and his pride for being Commander of The Elite was anything but subtle. She scoffed at his blatant overcompensation, he had only grown more impetuous and sympathetic the older he became, and everyone knew it. He was unfit to rule, and it was time for the dawn of a new era led by a much younger and competent ruler, she thought.
"I understand, but we're running out of new places to search. There are only so many viable areas where they could be living," she said as she waved her arms around in the air, gesturing wildly.
She crossed over to the table and placed herself in the seat next to him, leaning forward and setting her slender hand on top of her father's. He scratched at his gray wire-like beard as she spoke, the skin on his full chin glowing redder with each scrape.
"If we were to keep looking and spread out from the main roads we could cut off their supply routes and force them to lead us to their location," she implored.
He rose from his chair, a sharp screeching sound filling the room, and snatched his hand out from beneath hers.
"I am Commander of the Elite! I command the Hunters and everyone inside Port Blair! I will not condone sending the Hunters out on pointless expeditions! I have been paying them for years to search for Raiders and Defectors hiding away in their compounds, and what return have I received for my investment? A few compounds found and half a dozen Raiders captured years ago? I will not have those pointless ventures wasting my time and money any longer. Do you understand?" Aldric questioned, his voice thick with agitation.
"I believe-" she started.
"Do you understand?" he repeated, his voice booming across the small space. 
"Yes, I understand," Arabella said dismissively.
Flustered, she stood and walked over to the door, pausing before she left.
"I was only trying to help ensure our safety, that's all," she said tenderly over her shoulder.
She turned the corner and marched off to her room, eyes blazing and cheeks burning red. Her father was growing distant and intransigent, and she could no longer persuade him like she had been able to in years prior. His indifference toward the Defectors sickened her. They were traitors, their very existence made a mockery of The Elite, and the Raiders were nothing more than a group of glorified robbers, she thought. She was quickly running out of ploys, and she was beginning to question whether or not he was an asset to her anymore.
She strolled into her bedroom in the far tower of the castle. It was the largest room in the Port and was filled with regal oversized furniture, the bedding and silk curtains were made with a deep red fabric, embellished with a swirling gaudy gold. It boasted power and opulence, and she wanted it to be a statement to anyone who entered. She strived to be feared and respected, power was power, and once she had it, she would become unstoppable.
She walked over to her large windows overlooking the Port. Tall dark roofs rose out of the ground all around her, creating a layer of mismatched brown that draped across the area. She watched as hundreds of commoners walked around the streets of the Port, only small specks from where she was standing. Large gray towers stuck out of the ground like spikes and walls wrapped along the outskirts of the Port, separating them from the brutal world beyond the walls. Distancing them from everything and everyone beyond.
"Arabella? My dear, you look troubled, is something wrong?" Henry asked.
She turned to fully face her husband walking into the room, his eyebrows knit together and his mouth pulled into a deep frown.
"I just returned from a rather bland lecture from my father. He's decided to call the Hunters back from their search...I must admit that I'm quite disappointed in him. I was under the impression that he cared more for our safety than his finances," she muttered.
"Safety is a priority to him, you know that. He simply doesn't see the Defectors as a serious threat. They have never acted hostile toward us, or anyone else for that matter. He doesn't see a point in searching for them, and quite frankly neither do I. I say we let the Raiders do what they do best and pick off the compounds one by one. Why should he fund the Hunters when the Raiders will take care of the Defectors on their own?" Henry asked.
"You don't see a point? Their existence is an insult to ours. Their way of life, their beliefs, they are all in contradiction with ours. It's a threat to our way of life and I will not stand idly by while they are in open rebellion against us. Anyone who lives outside of these walls is a traitor to the Elite. They leech off of our rightful resources and steal away into the night, thinking they remain free from the consequences of their actions. They think they're untouchable, and they need to be proven otherwise. The Raiders cannot be trusted alone, they will do anything to make money, and don't forget that they are traitors too. They live in rebellion outside the Port in compounds of their own. We have to do something."
She crossed over to him and wrapped her arms around him, resting her head on his chest. She pleaded with him, looked up into his brown eyes with an innocent expression on her face.
"All I want is for us to stay safe. You want that too, don't you?"
"Yes, of course I do, but what would you have me do? I have no control over the matter. Your father has a mind of his own, and a stubborn one at that," he replied.
"Speak to father, he trusts you and he will listen to whatever you suggest. Convince him that this is the best way, that this is the only way. Do it for us...for me," she begged, "Please."
She ran her fingers through his short dark hair as she pleaded, her eyes shining with worry. He sighed, submitting to her as he always did.
"Alright, I will speak with him about it tomorrow...for you," he said.
"Thank you," she replied with a sweet smile.
It wasn't going to be enough to convince her father, that she was certain of, but it was a start. She would need something much more impactful to happen in order to change his mind. She needed him to believe that the Defectors were a serious threat to the Elite.
#
    "Percival, you need to attend your lessons so that you'll make a great ruler and an even better husband. If all works out you'll marry Commander Ulster's daughter and she'll stand alongside you when you rule," Evelyn said.
    "But Mother, what if I don't want to marry her?"
    "She's a very pretty and polite young lady. Her parents have raised her well and she would help to raise your status among the Elite. You would do well with her by your side," she said as she walked over behind him, resting her hands on his broad shoulders.
    "I've never met her," he whined.
    "You will soon enough. It's not as though you're marrying her tomorrow, you have nothing to worry about. If I hear again that you've skipped your lessons I'll have to tell your father. We both know how well that will go over. Now, I must be off," she said with a smile, ruffling his brown hair and turning, walking to his door,  "You would be wise to take my council, I know what's best for you."
    "Alright." He softly smiled at her as she turned and closed the door behind her.
She strode quickly across The Royal Courtyard, rain pouring down onto her, and looked over her shoulder repeatedly. Her dress dragged through the wet grass, splashing cold water onto her frozen ankles with every step. She passed under the apple trees and turned the corner, running up the stone stairs as the cold seeped its way into her bones, chilling her to the core. She knocked on the wooden door impatiently, switching her weight from one foot to the other as she waited, eyeing the road for any prying onlookers. Her long blonde hair dropped icy cold droplets down her back as she teetered impatiently.
"Arabella? My love, I wasn't expecting to see you today," Gareth said with a small smile, returning back inside, "Come in."
"Neither was I, however, something unexpected has transpired and you need to be made aware of it."
She walked into the room and swiftly closed the door behind her. The room was small and sparsely decorated, as it had always been. An unkempt bed sat in the corner and a few chairs had been scattered around the fireplace. She crossed over to where he was sitting and sat in the chair opposite him. The fire reflected in his deep brown eyes, dancing mischievously in a warm body of bright oranges and sparkling yellows, shooting up from fresh logs and chalk gray embers. The dim lighting filled the room with shadows, highlighting their faces in the firelight.
"What happened?" Gareth asked.
"My father has gone from being rash to completely ignorant. If he gets his way we'll all be dead soon," she replied, "He's decided to pull the Hunters back."
She leaned forward, edging nearer still to the scalding fire beside her, basking in its warmth. He frowned and licked his lips, rubbing his hand against his crooked nose.
"As strongly as I disagree with his decision, I urge you to exercise patience before you take a reckless action against him. He won't stay in power for much longer. He's growing old, and soon the title will fall to your husband," he implored.
"Not soon enough. Henry may be a clueless fool, but at least him I can control."
She slunk back in her chair and stared at the mesmerizing flames.
"Aldric was never an agreeable man, but now he's become completely inconsequential," she complained, "He doesn't have the strength to do what's necessary and end the Defectors once and for all. He will never have complete control of the Port if he shows mercy to traitors. If the people don't fear him they will no longer follow him. I need to find a way to make him see that the Defectors are a threat to us. When he finds out he will finally prioritize the Defector's downfall and send the Hunters to finish them off. Then he will show the people the consequences of leaving."
"You're right. He's weak to let sympathy and indolence get in the way of his power. You have always been smarter than him, and he would be wise to listen to you, my love. I have news that should please you," Gareth added, smiling smugly, "You were right to suspect a compound hiding in that area. One of Taenin's men followed a boy back to the compound this afternoon. I told him and his Raiders to destroy it, they're attacking the Defectors as we speak,"
She sat up in her chair, a devilish grin plastered on her face, her blue eyes gleaming in the flickering firelight.
"Perfect."