Chapter 23

"So you guys wanted to talk to us?" Brett asked his parents.

His parents sat across the couch from us. His mom, in a black, dress jack, a black shirt, and a white button up shirt. She had her hair up in a bun, her glasses on, and her make was noticeable, but light. His father had a grey button up shirt on, with black dress pants, and a black tie.

"Yes we did, because it will affect both you." His mother calmly soothed us.

"Is it bad?" Brett asked curiously.

I just sat around and listened to the conversation. It was different talking like this with his parents, from my parents. Now if my parents were having this conversation with us I would be in Brett's position and he would be in mine.

"Well good and bad. Good for us, partly bad for you guys." His father grunted.

"Well what's good?" I asked shyly.

"Brett's father got promoted." His mother smiled at him.

"What's the bad news?" Brett sounded as if he already knew what they were going to say.

"We are moving to California in a couple days." His mother looked over at us.

My head felt like it started spinning in a thousand directions, going to fast I was going to be sick. Why? How? After everything we have been through, everything we fought for, it was all going to come to end because he's moving.

I stood up from the couch, staring at all three of them. I crawled over Brett and ran out the front door. The tears fell down my cheeks. I couldn't believe this. Brett walked out the front door behind me. He put his hand on my shoulder.

I turned around, throwing my arms around him, and laying my head on his neck. "Don't cry, everything is going to be okay." He tried to soothe me.

"How? Brett your moving across the country." I cried.

"And you know if I could I would find a way to stay, even if my parents weren't here." He rubbed my back as he spoke so calmly.

"Brett we've been through so much, we fought to be together, and this is how we are going to end? By you moving?" I cried loudly.

He pushed my face off his chest, staring me right in his eyes. "No, this is not how we are going to end. There are ways we can be together. We can talk on the phone, video chat, maybe my parents will let me fly out and see you. We are not out of options." He firmly said.

I walked through my front door, slowly moving around my house. I was still crying after all that happened at Brett's. My mother started walking down the stairs as I was going up.

"Hey sweetie." My mother welcomed me.

"Hey." I weakly said.

"What's wrong?" She asked me, stopping where I was.

"Brett's m-moving." I cried. "All the way to California."

My mother grabbed me and started to hug me. "Everything will be fine. I promise. Maybe they'll decide Brett can stay here." My mother added.

"I just want to go to bed, mom."

She released me from the hug, letting me continue moving up the steps.

"Hello seniors." My principal smiled at all of us seniors sitting in the auditorium. "You all know there is only two weeks left for you guys, and that means graduation coming up. Our valedictorian was April Scott, but she turned us down. So we are letting her pick the valedictorian this year."

April got up out of her seat, and approached the podium. "Yes, it's true I turned it down, but the person who will get it this year is no other than Landen Jones."