I've always liked dancing but I like it even more now that I've danced with Derek. I can't see myself dancing with another man anymore. That thought terrifies me and I push it out of my head in urgency; I'll pretend it never crossed my mind.

Derek and I dance long enough for me to forget that his ex-girlfriend crashed the party until we take a break to get a drink and then she's standing behind Derek.

I see her before Derek and my eyes meet hers for the first time. She is even prettier up close. The smile on my lips fades and a smile appears on hers. She looks from me to Derek, totally uninterested in me. I find myself feeling a little offended.

"Aren't you going to say hi?" she asks, flirtatiously.

Derek freezes for a second at the sound of her voice and my stomach churns. He puts his drink down then turns his head to his right to look at her. Time seems to stop for a moment. Everyone is eager to see what's going to happen now. Meanwhile, I have the urge to grab Derek's hand and pull him out of here as fast as possible. I know I can't do that. Not just because I don't have the courage, but because I have no right to keep him from speaking to her.

Why is she here? Why did she have to show up? And why am I suddenly feeling so insecure? I hate this.

"Sadie," Derek says then clears his throat. I can't see his face but I can hear the smile on his face. "I didn't know you were going to come."

"I know." she smiles. "The twins invited me. I hope that's alright with you."

She is looking at him and ignoring all the stares around her, including mine. It's like they're the only ones at the party. Why is she here again?

"Sure."

"I was..." she pauses then looks at him from under her long lashes. "I was hoping we could talk. You have a minute?"

I don't realize that I'm expecting Derek to say no until he nods and I feel disappointment run through my body.

"Sure." he repeats. He takes a step forward and then, as if suddenly remembering that I am standing behind him, he stops and turns around. "I'll be right back," he says easily, grinning. "Don't go anywhere, Gin."

Despite myself, I put on a brave smile on my face and nod as if I'm not being consumed by jealousy.

I watch as he follows her and I begin to feel anger build up. Doesn't he see that she is obviously doing this on purpose? I know I don't know her and I just met her five seconds ago, but why would someone ask their ex if they can talk while in a party for everyone to see? If she had good intentions, she would ask to speak to him in private but no, she's doing it here and pulling him away from me.

"There they go, off to talk about the past."

I turn and see a man suddenly standing next to me. He is tall with broad shoulders and short, silver hair. He is wearing black dressed pants with a white shirt and a black vest on top. The sleeves are rolled up to his elbows. He's very attractive. Before even knowing his name, I already suspect that he has millions of followers on Instagram.

His hazel eyes land on me and he half smiles. "What do you think they're going to talk about?"

"Excuse me?" I ask when I finally find my voice.

He smiles. "I wish I could tell you that they're discussing work stuff but I know my cousin," he sighs then brings up the glass he's holding up to his lips and takes a sip.

"Your cousin." I repeat then I glance at Sadie and Derek who are now standing across from where I am, on the other side of the pool. I hate that Derek is smiling and laughing and not at all hurrying to end their conversation. People can't help but look their way. I'm sure this picture is already starting to circulate in the internet.

"Yes. I'm Sadie's cousin. I'm Jeremy." he nods at me. "You're Derek's new girl."

I clear my throat. "I guess I am."

"No, you are." he chuckles. "Everybody knows."

Yet, Sadie just stole my date.

I'm feeling more pathetic every second that passes.

I look at Jeremy, thoughtfully. "Are you an actor too?"

"I'm a model." he grins then shrugs. "Acting isn't really my thing. I tried it and I sucked." he laughs as if remembering something.

I just nod and look away as I take another sip of my drink. I suddenly want this party to be over now. I was having such a great time dancing with Derek. We should have kept dancing.

I find myself looking at them again. They're talking like old friends. I hope that's all it is, talking. I'm not one of those crazy, jealous girlfriends but I am not going to pretend that I don't get jealous whenever my boyfriend or the guy I like is speaking to another girl. Jealousy creeps up on me like a headache: slowly, until it's too painful to ignore. I'm usually really good at hiding it. The last thing I want is for people to think I'm crazy or jealous, especially when I know everyone's waiting to see what I do. I don't want to give them a reaction.

Thankfully, I'm good at keeping my feelings bottled up inside.

"They've been friends since forever," Jeremy says next to me, watching them like I am.

I look away and focus on my drink.

"They always do this, you know?" he continues before I can stop him. "They're together until they get tired of each other and then time passes and they see each other again and before anyone knows it, they're back together."

I shift my weight on my right foot, uncomfortably.

"Sorry," he says and he sounds genuine but that doesn't make me feel better.

"You're saying that they're going to get back together," I say slowly, looking up at him.

He shrugs. "It's what they do."

It's what they do, I repeat in my head.

"But it might be different with you," he says quickly. "You seem very down to earth. God knows Derek could use some of that."

So what am I now? Therapy to Derek? Just a temporary girlfriend until he finds his way back to his ex?

I drink what's left of my drink and set it on the bar then I smile at Jeremy. "It was nice to meet you. Excuse me."

I walk away without waiting for a response.

He said more than I needed to hear.