Chapter 30 - Las Vegas

Start from the beginning

"We're getting a place where we can have cats right?" Emily asked.

I smiled. Emily loves cats. "Of course! What about college?"

"Nah, we don't need college."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, we'll be fine getting jobs together in the mall."

The ball came back to me and I hesitated throwing it back to her. "Are we really going to do this or are you just saying that?"

"Yes we are! It's a promise." She walked over and hugged me all of a sudden. I hugged her back. "You're the only person that understands me. I would never want to be away from you."

Her cheek was against mine and I could see the scar on the side of her face. "We'll go far away where he can't hurt you anymore." She stepped back and looked at me sadly when I said that. She didn't want to be reminded of the pain. "I'll always protect you, Em. I won't let him hurt you." I promise."

Promise...

How could you have let this happen.

You promised her you'd keep her safe.

You can't even keep a promise.

What's wrong with you.

"Katie? Katie?" Mrs. Manon's voice brought me back to reality and I realized I was crying loudly. "What happened? Are you alright." She reached over to take the wheel from me. I must have been a mess.

"I can drive." I pushed her hand away from the wheel. "I-I'm sorry. I don't...I don't know what happened."

"You've been unresponsive and crying for 5 minutes. I've been trying to talk to you but you were blocking me out."

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright, I just wanted to tell you that we're almost there. Take the next exit, the motel is just at the end of it." Mrs. Manon turned around in her seat and tried to reach for something in the back but she winced in pain and gave up. I think she was reaching for the bat.

"Don't worry about it. I'll get it out when we arrive." He deserves to be beaten with it as much as he beat her and Emily with it...

Emily's POV:

My head was throbbing. I didn't want to move let alone open my eyes. But I had to because I couldn't remember where I was or what last happened. I could hear two male voices speaking but I couldn't recognize them or understand what they were saying for some reason. I finally opened my eyes and took in my surroundings. I was on a bed in what looks like a very cheap motel room that you'd see in a movie. The two men in front of me were my dad with someone I'd never seen before.