Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

A frown tugged at Gill's mouth. "Are you sure?"

Preston nodded. "I'm sure, pa. For the first time in my life I'm not dying."

Jeb's fist clenched. His jaw tightened and his throat bobbed. Finally, he stepped forward and wrapped Preston in a bone-crushing hug. "That's damn good to hear, son."

Preston hugged him back and felt tears fill his eyes that he quickly blinked away. Gill reached out and ruffled Preston's hair. "I'm glad you feel better."

Suddenly the entire family was on him, patting his back, offering congratulations, and letting him know just how happy they were that he was gonna be around for a good long time.

Eventually, they all found themselves outside as Preston told them tales about all he'd seen and done over the last few months. He wasn't surprised by how quickly Xavier had been accepted. His family could see his happiness and they knew that Xavier was a big part of that. Preston was happier than he'd ever been before. He had his man beside him, he was back home with his family, and he a long and healthy future to look forward to with all of them.

As evening fell, Preston glanced at Xavier and realized the man seemed a bit on edge. It reminded Preston that Xavier was not a man who was accustomed to being part of a large group of people. He was a loner—a loner who just so happened to like having Preston by his side.

Deciding he'd put his man through enough today, Preston took his hand. "We're gonna head back into town."

"You're welcome to stay here. We still have that room in the barn," Gill offered.

Preston opened his mouth to respond but Pete beat him to it. "They got the love glow, Gill. They ain't gonna be able to keep it burnin' if they're out in daddy's barn."

Preston's face heated and he was sure his ears turned red. Jeb looked at Pete as if he was seriously contemplating punching the other man in the throat.

Instead, Jane's hand fell on the back of her husband's head. "Would you act like you have some sense for once in your life?"

Pete grinned. "Nope."

Preston saw the way Jane smiled at her crazy husband and the love shining in her eyes as she gazed at him. He hoped that after him and Xavier had been together for eleven years, Xavier would still look at him that way.

Preston glanced up and saw that Xavier was looking down at him with love and want all warring together. It was enough to have Preston's blood heating nicely.

He was quick to tug Xavier toward their waiting horses. "We gotta go. I'm tired." Pete's laughter rang out, causing Preston's face to redden even more.

"You better go see your Nana Maria. And Eleanor and Willa. Eleanor was good and mad that you left town and never told her goodbye," Gill warned.

Preston winced. "I will." 'First thing tomorrow,' he added silently.

As Xavier and Preston slid into their saddles, Xavier leaned close. "I can't wait to have your ass at that hotel."

Preston trembled. "Well, let's get going then."

***

Gill killed the lamp beside the bed before sliding under the covers and curling up against Jeb, laying his head on his chest. When Gill's fingertips danced across the muscles of his lean stomach, Jeb found his body responding. Even after over a decade together, his Texas ranger-turned outlaw-turned rancher lit his blood like nothing else in the world ever had.

"Do you really think that healer took away Preston's sickness?" Gill asked.

Jeb ran his hands down Gill's smooth back. "I hope so. I don't know. It's hard for me to believe in something like that."

"Me too."

"Ezekial seemed pretty sure," Jeb added.

Gill pressed a kiss to Jeb's chest and Jeb's fingers dug into his back. "I guess as long as Preston believes it that's all that matters. I'm hoping he's not sick anymore but, if he is, at least he won't be so damn scared and worried about it for a while."

Jeb sighed. "I can see why you were always the brains of the operation."

Gill's quiet chuckle filled the air. "That wasn't hard when I was running with Pete Bardlow."

"Hey Gilliam?" Jeb turned on his side and pulled Gill's bare body flush against him.

Gill's response was breathless. "Yeah?"

Jeb swooped in and nipped at his full bottom lip. "Can we talk about all that later?"

Gill's hands ran down his bare back before gripping his backside and pulling him in tighter. "Sure can."

A/N: Poor Zachariah is not amused that Xavier didn't get a thump to the head. Ezekial had his own experience with granny. And Pete still knows the love glow when he sees it. Hope y'all enjoyed the chapter! Let me know what you think because I love readng y'alls comments!