Chapter 30A // You're Afraid

***Author's note: Hello lovelies!! So I've decided that I'm going to start basing my chapters off of the episodes in season 10. I hope that I'm not spoiling anything for the readers who aren't up to that season yet but I figured that it would be the quickest way for me to write chapters and update for you guys. If there are any major plot twists or events that occur in season 10, I'll definitely make sure to leave them out! I'm mostly just going to be using the episodes for the cases, and since most of it is in Chloe's view, any spoilers that have to do with the other characters won't be written. I hope that you all enjoy this next chapter and I'm sorry for any inconvenience!

Chloe's POV.

A whole week went by before we got a new case. And during that whole week, Reid and I didn't talk once. Oh, and guess who decided to show up to the BAU at the exact same time as me?

 If you guessed Reid, you get a gold star.

The BAU is located on the seventh floor of the building, so as you could imagine, the elevator ride was a little more than awkward.

"Do you, uh, know what our case is?" Reid asked after clearing his throat, breaking the painful silence and the muffled elevator music.

"Nope. I guess we'll find out." I replied, giving him a small smile before looking back down at my feet. Once the elevator doors opened, I immediately walked out and went straight to the briefing room. Normally, I'd stop for coffee, but so does Reid, so I figured that it'd be much better if I avoided him instead of getting what keeps me awake during these cases.

"We can get started now." Agent Hotchner said to Garcia as the rest of us joined the room and sat down. My seat was normally in between Reid and JJ, however this time I decided to sit next to Morgan. Garcia clicked a button on her remote and images of a man's bloody torso located on the grounds of a desert. And when I say a torso, I mean just the torso.

"The mad butcher of Bakersfield has left another torso in the desert. This brings the body count to three this month and still none have been identified." Garcia informed us as we flipped through our case files.

"At this pace, he's going for a record." Rossi said, looking up at Garcia. "Yeah, and quite the imagery. What is he trying to say? A torso by itself has no life." I asked as I looked through the crime scene photos.

"Right," Rossi agreed, "It can't survive. It might be how he sees himself."

"It could also be a simple forensic countermeasure. He dumps the torso after getting rid of all the pieces that can identify his victims." JJ added on.

"That would make sense for someone who's criminally sophisticated, but this guy's leaving his DNA all over the torsos." Morgan agreed with JJ.

"Hey, Einstein. You're awfully quiet." Rossi said, turning his head to Reid.

Reid quickly looked up at him as if he had just been snapped out of a daydream or trance before clearing his throat, "Um, I'm just reading here, the ME thinks the victims were alive for 48 hours while he disarticulates."

"That means the unsub's sexual gratification comes from cutting." I directed at Reid, although I kept my eyes down at the case file. "Exactly. He wouldn't go to these extremes if he were merely discarding the limbs. He obviously enjoys the ritual. It's some kind of torture." Reid replied, also avoiding eye contact.

"He would need preserving agents and isolation in order to keep the limbs as trophies." Morgan added.

"Garcia, come up with a list of suppliers in Southern California.We'll cross that with a geographical profile when we have it. We'll meet on the plane in thirty." Hotch said before leaving the room. The normal Hotch routine, as I always called it.

On the Plane || 9:00 AM

Another thing that I'd normally do is sit across from Reid on the plane while we went over the case once more. However, obviously, it was different this time.

I sat across from Morgan and next to JJ, Reid sat by himself in a seat across the aisle from us while Hotch and Rossi stood up.

"The mad butcher. Wow, the media is to thank for that one." I scoffed as I read the cover of the newspaper that had been printed that morning in Bakersfield, California.

"This is Los Angeles. They make everything a spectacle." JJ said. "I'm sure he's getting off on it." I replied, rolling my eyes. Morgan said something after that, however I was distracted by the vibration of my cell phone and didn't really listen to him. After pulling my phone out of my pocket, I got a notification that said Reid had texted me. I looked over at him before swiping the screen so I could read the text.

Spencer: Can we talk?

Chloe: We're on a plane with all of our team, now is not the time.

Spencer: I know. I meant later.

Chloe: All we need to focus on right now is this case. OK?

Spencer: Fine.

"Campbell, did you hear me?"

I immediately looked up to see the rest of my team staring at me. "Oh, uh, sorry, Sir. What did you say?"

"I said that you and Reid will be going to the medical examiner." Hotch said, his tone becoming impatient. Reid and I both looked at eachother without saying a word before looking back at Hotch. "Got it, sir." I smiled, although I knew that he was most likely mad at me for texting while I should be paying attention to the team.

Once we landed, Reid and I drove to the medical examiner.

"The ME is at least fifteen minutes away including traffic time. We have time to talk." Reid said as he pulled out of the driveway where we received our cop car.

"Reid, I told you that we need to focus on the case. Can't we just go over theories or something?"

"We don't have enough information, Chloe. Please...just tell me what you've been thinking." Reid said, sounding extremely vulnerable.

I looked out of the window, trying to think of the right thing to say. After two minutes of silence, I finally answered, "Reid, I like you. A lot, actually. But this," I motioned towards both of us, "won't work. You're my co-worker...and I...I- nevermind." I sighed, leaning my head against the window.

"You're afraid that I'm going to treat you the way that Adam treated you." Reid said, basically reading my mind. Well, what else could I have expected? He was a freaking profiler.

"Yeah, I am." I replied, feeling tears form behind my eyes.

Author's note: This is part A of chapter 30 "You're Afraid", part B will hopefully be posted by Friday! x