𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 | 𝐤𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐢

i've been dating kairi for 2 years now. we were talking to each other long before that, but officially it's only been two years.

at first it was amazing. he was the sweetest boyfriend i could've ever wished for. there was hardly a minute i wasn't with him, and if i wasn't then i was definitely thinking about the next time i would be.

that stage lasted for about a year and a half. this summer however, things took a dramatic turn. he and his friends all blew up on tiktok, and his focus slowly slid away from me and onto his content.

we hardly hang out anymore because his fans want more tik toks of him with his friends. and i get it, i really do, i just wish he would give me even a sliver of the affectionate attention he used to.

now the only attention i get is argumentative. and the arguments aren't occasional, they're constant. there's an ongoing angry tension between us, and we don't know how much longer there is until one of us snaps and ends everything between us.

school barely ended, and i'm waiting in my car for kairi so i could give him a ride home. he said we were gonna hang out tonight, but i already know he's just gonna cancel to hang out with his friend again.

after five minutes he walked out the front doors of our school and in the direction of my car. he hopped into the passengers seat and buckled in without saying anything to me, but this is how it's been since a little after school started, so it's nothing new to me.

he got on his phone as i started driving to his house, and i put on some music to fill the silence that hangs between us constantly now. when i was a few blocks away, he turned off his phone and turned the music down.

"oh, by the way, the guys just asked if i wanted to hang out tonight, and you know how my followers prefer posts of me hanging out with them, so is it okay if i cancel our plans just this once?" he asked, acting like this was the first or last time he's done this to me.

i clenched my jaw and simply nodded my head. i wasn't in the mood for arguing today, it gets old after 5 months. hell, it got old after a week.

"oh my god, don't tell me you're mad again. don't you care that this is like my job now?" he asked , dramatically throwing his head back. i still didn't say anything to him, we were almost to his house, and then he would be gone and we could act like we were fine again.

"hey, stop acting like that! you've never been this clingy with me, but then i blow up and suddenly you want to spend every spare second with me? i'm allowed to hang out with my friends too, you know?" he said, his voice progressively getting louder. still i said nothing. we're so close to his house. just two more blocks.

"i swear, it's like you don't want me to be happy. every thing i do always has to be about you. you you you. it's always about you, isnt it? it isn't cute or funny, you need to grow up already." he snarled. that's it.

i pulled over on the side of the road. "get out." i said, trying so hard not to lose it. "what? oh come on, we're two blocks away, can't you at least drop me off before you start crying again?" he groaned.

"you can walk. just get out." i breathed. he rubbed his temples, "why do you always do this? why do you feel the need to be so fucking selfish all the time?" he yelled.

"oh, i'm the selfish one? you haven't hung out with me in MONTHS! you're too busy making stupid videos for 11 year old girls on tiktok! you don't even fucking hug me anymore! sorry if it's so selfish of me to want to spend time with my BOYFRIEND every now and then!" i shouted, tears falling from my eyes. good thing i didn't wear makeup today.

"oh my god, here we go again. i see you every day at school! i buy you shit with my tiktok money, what more do you want from me? do you want me to rock you to sleep? sing you lullabyes?" he asked.

i shook my head. "you don't get it. you'll never get it. what's the point of you being my boyfriend anymore if we can't even sit in a car for more than five minutes without fucking yelling at each other?" i cried, lying my head against the steering wheel.

"that's just the thing! you're always crying over the littlest shit! you're so goddamn needy-" he began before i cut him off.

"we're done." i whispered. it hurt to say but it needed to be said, and honestly it was long overdue. "what?" he asked, his voice now at a normal volume.

"we're over. please get out. i'll give you all your hoodies back if you want, i don't care. i just can't do this shit with you anymore. i'm tired of it, kai." i breathed. i heard him gulp.

"are you serious? two minutes ago you wanted my attention but now you're breaking up with me?" he asked. i nodded my head without saying anything else. he let out a long sigh before getting out of the car and slamming the door. when he was out of sight i wiped my face and drove away, just ready to go back home and take a nap. and i guess that's the end of me begging for his attention.