1

☆

"ARE YOU SURE you're eighteen?"

The man looked up at Edmund, who twiddled the corner of his tweed cap. The boy was standing up straight, his hands behind his back. He was first in line out of a couple dozen men, who wished to be drafted off to war.

"Why?" Edmund retorted, with a calm face, "Do I look older?"

The man raised his eyebrows and gestured for the boy to hand over his card, filled with details about the boy- but it wasn't his card...in fact the card belonged to his aunt and Edmund had merely nicked it while she was out.

"Alberta Scrubb?" The man questioned skeptically, looking up at the boy expectedly.

Edmund pointed to the sheet, "It's a typographical error" he informed the man, "It is suppose to be Albert A. Scrubb."

Lucy stumbled through the doors holding bags full of food for the house. "Edmund, you're supposed to be helping me with the groceries." She called out, making Edmund groan inwardly.

The boy snatched the card out of the mans hand and spun on his heel- his anger rapidly spreading. "Better luck next time, ay, squirt?" Another man joked, tipping his hat at Edmund.

Edmund stormed out of the hall carrying a brown paper bag. "Squirt? He barely had 2 years on me!" The boy raged, "I am a king. I've fought wars and I've led armies!"

Lucy smiles sympathetically, "Not in this world." She spoke steadily, trying to calm her older brother. Her eyes drifting off to the left where a boy and a girl were leaning against a pillar talking.

"Yeah, instead I'm stuck here." Edmund spat bitterly. "Doing battles with Eustace Clarence Scrubb. If anyone so deserves the name." The boy noticed Lucy tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, a distracted look overcoming her.

"What are you doing?" Edmund asked, looking around in confusion.

Lucy snapped back to reality, facing her older brother. "Nothing." She replied hastily.

Edmund scrunched his eyebrows together, "Hang on a minute...Where's El" he questioned, once again looking around- his eyes finally landing on the girl and the boy by the pillar.

Eliza leaned against the marble pillar, listening to Thomas as he spoke. The two had met when the three youngest Pevensies had moved to Cambridge, to live with their aunt and uncle while their parents, Susan and Peter all departed to America.