• Chapter Five •

Nina looks at herself in the mirror and smiles.

Her long blonde hair is up in a low bun, curls springing from it in a natural way.

She runs her hands along her skirt overalls and her smile gets bigger.

All of the skin that needs to be is hidden.

Her face bare from any trace of makeup or piercings.

She looks just the way God wants her to.

As it says in the Bible, in 1 Corinthians 6:19-30:

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

She knows that she looks Godly in what she's wearing, pleased with herself.

After checking her hair one last time, she grabs her purse and Bible off of her bed and heads downstairs.

The smell of bacon fills her nose, and she shakes her head with a smile.

When she reaches the bottom of the stairs and turns the corner, her eyes meet with her dad's, who is sitting at the table reading a newspaper.

"Good morning." Nina says, smiling

"Morning, sweetheart." He says, giving her a smile

Her eyes look over to her mom, who is cooking at the stove.

"I fixed some veggie bacon for you, honey." Her mother says, turning and giving her a smile

Nina's smile grows wider and she nods her thanks excitedly, sitting across from her dad at the table.

"I need to run to the bookstore down at the corner before I head to school after I eat." Nina says, and her father nods, smiling

"You and your obsession with reading." He says with a chuckle

Nina smiles.

"I heard Brother Thomas will be preaching for us this Wednesday night." Her dad says from the newspaper after a few minutes of silence

Nina nods even though he isn't looking at her, buttering a biscuit to eat.

"Yes. I actually met his wife a few days ago at the diner!" She says, smiling widely as her parents look at her

Her mom walks over and sets two plates down, one with regular bacon and one with her vegetarian bacon.

She sits down next to Nina's father, and they start fixing their plates.

"Is that so?" Her mom asks, smiling, "What was she like?"

"Oh, very friendly!" Nina says excitedly, "I think it'll be really nice to have some new people attending our church. She was telling me all about their move here, and how they were looking for a better church."

"Why'd they leave their church again?" Her mom asks

"She said that their church was slowly dying out, and that the people attending were starting to drift away from things they once believed in." Nina says sadly, shaking her head, "It's such a shame that churches today are slowly dying out. People are losing interest."

"Which is exactly why we need to work on getting sinners in and listening to what God has to say." Her dad says, putting down the newspaper and taking a bite of scrambled eggs, "What were you doing at the diner, anyways?"

Nina looks at him, her eyes widened a little bit.

"Uh, I was with a friend." She says, knowing good and well that lying about the situation wouldn't sit right with God and would do more harm than good