Chapter 21 - A Return To Form

Start from the beginning

"Can't Noah get us to the roof quicker?" Synthia asked as she walked down the street alongside Neo, who shook his head "I already messaged him, he's with Rose. Who for some reason doesn't know about his powers...and it also doesn't seem fair to rely on him for lifts. It's not that far, and exercise will do us good." "I sincerely hope you're not trying to imply I'm fat" Synthia said snarkily, despite the fact she wore a small smile and slipped her hand into his. "I would never." He replied with a chuckle "I'm just saying, we were holed up in a room for practically a full week. Who knows what that does to your health." "Who knows what taking on fucking Zuro does to your health." Synthia cracked, causing Neo to let out a laugh "I think staying indoors is the least of our worries." "That's very true." They continued walking, enjoying simply being outdoors with each other's quiet company. Eventually Neo started to seem a little more fidgety however, like there was something he wanted to say but didn't know how, which Synthia was quick to pick up on. "Shoot." She said, causing him to look at her with a confused expression "Don't act. Ask me what you want." "I um...I really don't know how." He said honestly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Even after I've brought it up? This must be serious." She joked with a small snort of laughter, but Neo barely managed a smile "Seriously, what is it?" "Axel's powers." He finally said, with Synthia now being the one to look confused "Not at all what I was expecting...what about them?" "How did he get them? When did it get them? What's everything you know?" "Whoa, Neo, relax. What are you talking about? What brought this on?" Synthia looked slightly concerned as well as puzzled at why Neo seemed so bothered by this. As far as she knew Axel was in the same boat as the rest of them. "They're Zuro's. I saw it, in his memories. Back on his planet he was able to use the charged up red beams exactly like Axel could, but when he arrived on Earth he realised he couldn't. He doesn't know why. And neither do I." Neo explained to her, as her expression quickly soured. "And just what are you trying to suggest about my brother?" She said scathingly, crossing her arms. "This is why I didn't want to ask..." Neo said with a small sigh, shoving his hands in his pockets "I'm not suggesting anything, Synth, I just want to know if there's anything abnormal about how he might've gotten them. It's...strange. And it bugs me." "You think he might be in cahoots with Zuro." Synthia stated accusingly, her expression growing more and more fowl as the conversation went on. "No I don't!" Neo suddenly raised his voice defensively, then slowly quietened himself "I trust Axel with my life. But think about it, Hector won't teach him and he somehow just gained a small slice of Zuro's powers? How does that even happen?" "I don't know Neo, but I do know for a fact that Axel is hiding nothing. I mean, none of us know how the hell we got our powers either other than assuming they came from the artefact. And his showed up the exact same time the rest of our's did, if you're sceptical about that too." Synthia said, the last bit coming out a tad bit colder than she meant it. "I'm sorry." They both said simultaneously, Neo with a sigh and Synthia with a shake of her head. "I didn't mean to accuse him of anything. It just rubbed me up the wrong way is all." Neo said apologetically as Synthia managed a small smile "I understand. I can see why you'd be concerned...he's my brother, I don't like to think that after everything he's done your faith in him will start to fail." "You know that's not what it is." Neo said, giving her hand a small squeeze "Now come on. Let's find this Zuro-killing weapon."

They walked for a good hour longer, making small talk all the way until Neo finally stopped outside a large building. "This is it. I think it's a law firm...let's just hope they allow public access." He said, before walking inside with Synthia by his side. As they entered into the lobby they noticed a receptionist, who smiled as they passed. Acting like they belonged there the pair smiled back, before casually heading over to the elevators. Not long after they were at the highest floor the elevator would take them to, and after a quick search around for the stairwell they found it and the stairs that led up onto the roof. "So where exactly is it?" Synthia asked as they exited the door and made it out onto the roof, with Neo quickly looking around and pointing to one of the air vents jutting out "There." He quickly moved over to it, kneeling down beside one of the loose fitted grates over it and quickly taking it off with ease. Reaching his arm in he felt around until his hand landed on a leather strap, quickly grabbing a hold of it and pulling out Charon's ripped satchel. He looked inside the grate at where the satchel was stashed, eyes searching for the Staelic blade he had watched the man plant there, but it appeared to be gone completely. "Damn it!" He shouted angrily, slamming a fist on the vent as he let out a sigh. "It's gone?" Synthia questioned, glancing down at the satchel Neo held. "Yeah...he took it after the fight in the park. Some time in the last week." He cursed under his breath, as Synthia tried her best to give him some encouragement "It's not the end of the world. We can still beat him without it." "Yeah, you're right...but it's one less tool for us to have under our belt." He stood back up, opening the satchel and spotting the two books still in perfect condition inside "The books are here at the very least. Hector will be pleased." "We better hurry and get them back to him. It'll probably be dark by the time we do." Synthia said, looking up at the sky as though to judge it. "You're right. Plus I don't like lingering around this spot. Feels like Zuro might jump out at any second." Neo said, tying the satchel in place over his shoulder just like Charon had before heading for the stairs with Synthia.