chapter eight

"Do you think she's asleep?" you heard Jonah mumble from the other side of the door. Your eyes shot open. "Probably, we've been gone for a while." Daniel said, and you heard the doorknob click. "Night, man." Jonah said before the creaking of the door stopped, "Wait, are you and Y/N actually just friends?" Daniel asks. You heard silence then Jonah clearing his throat. "I don't know, honestly." You feel a sliver of hope come back to your heart at his words. You closed your eyes again and heard the door open fully, Jonah coming in and laying down. You faked sleep, hoping that he wouldn't notice that you were awake. Luckily, he didn't and he draped an arm around your waist, falling sound asleep next to you. You were so confused.

The following night was the last night of the U.S. leg of the 8 Letters tour. It was a bittersweet night for everyone; every show so far had been amazing and excitement for Europe was growing, but it was still sad to know that there's only one night left. You took a Halogen of their pre-show handshake routine and posted it, a smile on your face at the love it was already receiving. The boys went out on stage and Zack put his hand on your shoulder, "I'm really proud of how far you've come so far in the tour." you pouted your lip at his words. "Do not make me cry." you protested and he chuckled, sending you out towards the stage. You took in the view of the crowd one last time before you'd have a break from it all. It was an absolutely beautiful view and you were so proud of your best friends.

After the show, everyone packed up their bags and headed to the airport in the van. You settled in the backseat between Corbyn and Jonah. Jonah leaned over and rested his head on your shoulder, letting his eyes close. Corbyn nudged your knee and you looked up to see his confused expression. You mouthed a 'what?' and he gestured to Jonah cuddled up next to you. You shrugged slightly, careful not to wake Jonah up. Corbyn sighed and looked out the video, the car ride completely silent. The flight back to L.A. was short and you slept pretty much the entire time. Once you arrived back at the house, you trudged up the stairs to you and Jonah's room. You dropped your luggage and immediately crawled into bed. You heard footsteps approach the bed and felt the weight of another person fall next to you. "What time is it?" you mumbled and Jonah groaned, too exhausted to lift his head to check. You sighed and rolled onto your stomach, burying your face in the pillow. Thoughts were swirling all around your head, unsure of how to feel about the boy laying next to you. The line between romance and friendship was growing very thin and everything in you wanted answers from him. Should you tell him that you overheard his conversation with Daniel? It is even something you want to ask? You went back and forth like this for a while, and then rolled back over to face Jonah. His eyes were closed but you could tell he was awake. You reached over and poked his cheek, causing him to open one of his eyes. "Yes?" he mumbled and you held your breath, hoping the words would actually come out of your mouth. "Can I ask you a question about the other night?" you asked and he sat up a little more. "What other night?" "The night we played truth or dare." you said quietly and he looked down at the sheets. "Oh, yeah I remember." You let out a shaky breath, waiting for him to say more. "I'm sorry if Daniel made you uncomfortable, I didn't know he was gonna ask something like that." he said and you shook your head. "No, it didn't make me uncomfortable at all. I just overheard you guys later that night, and when he asked you again you said you didn't know." Jonah's eyes widened and he tensed up. "So you weren't asleep." he breathed and you chewed on your bottom lip. "Listen, I love you. You know that. And I like our relationship as best friends but I don't know, it just—" he paused to take a deep breath,"it just sometimes feels like more." You felt your breath hitch in your throat and you struggled to get any words out to answer him. He didn't look at you and you could see that the silence passing was making him more nervous. "Is that a bad thing?" you finally asked. "I mean no, not necessarily. I just don't want either of us getting hurt if we're not on the same page, ya know?" he explained and you nodded, "Yeah, I wouldn't want that either." "So we'll just keep acting like we do now, but we know that it's just a friendship." he said, a hint of skepticism in his voice. You nodded slowly and shifted in your spot, "Yeah, we do." "Okay, cool. Now turn the lights off, I wanna nap." You got up and turned the lights off before making your way towards the door. "Hey, where are you going?" Jonah's voice stopped you in your tracks, "You know you need a nap too." You looked at him and smiled, you couldn't say no to his sweet face even if you were saddened by the truth. You gave in and got under the covers next to him, letting him pull you into his side. You relaxed in his grip as best as you could, trying to turn your mind off so you could rest.

You laid there, in the arms of this incredible boy once more. You were deeply disappointed that you had no way of convincing yourself that you had a chance with Jonah. It left you aching a little inside, and you didn't know if his arms wrapped around you made you feel better or worse. If this is what it feels like now, you thought to yourself, it makes you wonder how the next two weeks at home are going to go.