Chapter 11 • Awkward Questions

Start from the beginning

"I do." Cael flipped a page on his notepad, reading off his list. "The Original Alusek that I'd like to see are: Fieri, Saisil, Zsuli, and of course, Sabin. As for the test subjects, I'd like to see: Andrea, Imogen, Oscar, and...Reena." He passed the list over to Garver as a grin was spreading over the young man's face.

"You just want a reason to ask her personal questions."

"I just thought that it would make sense to ask her a couple questions since she's one of the first successes. That's all."

It was clear from the way Garver pursed his lips that he didn't believe Cael, but he decided to keep that to himself. "I take it that you want to start with her."

"No..." Cael ran a hand through his hair. "We can start with Andrea Varrano...and then Reena. Also, I noticed that a picture wasn't uploaded to Andrea's profile."

"Okay," Garver laughed, starting to stand up. "And I forgot to have him upload one. I'll get on that. Also, Andrea might be...a little jittery around you at first. Don't take it personal, he's mostly comfortable around Sabin, Treb, Clef, and the Phelps." 

Cael nodded and kept this in mind. "Of course. I'll just have a few questions." Garver seemed to be contacting Andrea and about to leave when Cael stopped him. "Hey, Garver. Do you have any idea why...why I was the only one able to interact with anything in the Mnemosyne?"

Garver paused and turned around, shrugging with an apologetic look on his face. "I don't know, man, I'm sorry. I mean, it's some real Chosen One shit...even though I don't really believe in that stuff." He ran a hand through his hair with a sigh. "But...you know what I do believe in?"

"What?"

"I have a talent of making things that makes our lives easier. I do that. So, if you're able to do something...there's a reason for it."

•     •     •     •     •      

Cael spent ten minutes writing in silence in the study before he heard the doors of the study open. One of the Phelps Twins entered with a man in tow. It took Cael a moment to recognized him as Treble with the birthmark on his jaw. The man with him shocked Cael, and Cael suspected it was Andrea. Andrea was perhaps two or three inches shorter than Treb with dark hair, a double chin, and a slim, athletic build. Cael noticed that there were gills on both sides of his neck. He had read Andrea's profile, so he was made aware that the DNA used on him was from a fish race called the Haral. Still, seeing the gills was surprising.

Treb smiled at Cael as the two of them approached, and Cael stood up. "Hey, Treb. I take it this is Andrea Varrano?" Andrea's body language dripped caution, his body turned slightly toward Treb as he stood behind him. Cael also noted that Andrea was squeezing Treb's wrist.

"Hey, Cael. And yes, th--," Treb began, but Andrea interrupted.

"Yes, I'm Andrea." Cael nodded and smiled to his, offering a hand for Andrea to shake. At first, he didn't look as if he'd take the handshake, but he finally released Treb long enough to shake Cael's hand.

Treb touched the small of Andrea's back and led them to sit down. Cael followed suit, and while he had a question in the back of his mind, he didn't think it was appropriate to ask.

"I won't keep you long. I'm just going to ask a few questions. If you feel too uncomfortable to answer, then I can move on. It's no problem." Andrea nodded, and Cael pulled up his profile again on the tablet. "So, I read here that you had emphysema. What stage were you in at the time that consent was given to run tests on you?"