• IV

Timothée lifted Dahlia up and on the horse

Timothée lifted Dahlia up and on the horse. The group of men were approaching but had not spotted them yet. Timothée hopped up behind her and reached around to grasp the reins.

"What if they spot us?" Dahlia questions and they start to ride off.

"They won't," Timothée responded, pushing the horse to go faster.

"What if they find your camp?" She was very nervous about the threat of her father and his men. He seemed to hesitate for a moment, like the words she said hit him.

"They won't." His blunt words echoed in her brain the rest of the way to camp. They made it back safely, but Dahlia felt a sense of uncertainty. It wrapped around her mind and took hold for the remainder of the day, echoing as she slept.

___________

A week passed of routine. Dahlia would wake up, eat, read, and walk around the main part of the camp. She had the pleasure of talking to many people. Though they were part of the revolution and held anger towards her father, they quickly came to adore her. She even got along with Adrian, the blonde boy who dragged her out from the carriage. After lunch, Dahlia would give Nicholas reading lessons. The day would then change into night and Dahlia would have dinner with Timothée. Their conversations consisted of anything under the sun. They never got into heated arguments or hosted dark topics. It was as if the world outside their tent did not exist. This night, however, Dahlia had a request in mind. So while they sat at the wooden table eating their stew, she decided to open up about it.

"I want to see Henry." Dahlia knew they held him somewhere in the camp, but she was never able to find him. Henry is her most trusted guard and childhood friend. He was willing to lay down his life for her that day. She just wanted to see if he is alright. At the mention of his name, Timothee dropped his spoon into his bowl. His gaze lifted to hers.

"Why would you want to see him?" Timothée's voice was guarded and he sat up straighter, letting out a throaty cough. 

"He's my closest friend. I want to know how he's doing." Dahlia adjusted her position, showing that she wasn't going to take no for an answer.

"I cannot deny you that privilege," Timothée started, though he was acting strange, "However, I want you to know he is a war prisoner. My men have... done things to find details about your father's army." Dahlia understood what he was talking about. Torture to make someone reveal secrets was not new to her, but she still cringed at the thought of it happening to Henry. 

"Then take me to him." She spoke with unwavering authority.

"Dahlia, get some rest and we can pick this up in the morning." He tried to brush her off, but she was not going to let this go.

"No." She spoke through gritted teeth. He sighed in annoyance, knowing her stubbornness personality was not going to give up, but rather persist. That's how he found himself outside the prisoner's tent many minutes later, Dahlia standing right beside him. Before she could walk in, he held his arm in front of her.