CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Começar do início

"You're quite chatty today," Cristina noticed, while they were making their way down to the ambulance bay, where Richard Webber was standing in deep thought. Cristina let out a deep sigh as she thought back to her conversations with her fiance. She had asked if she could tell Meredith first, before he told Derek, but he apparently couldn't keep a promise. "He told Derek even though I asked him not to until I told Meredith. I don't know who Derek told, but it got out and Meredith still doesn't know."

"She won't be angry, if that's what you're worrying about. She might be a bit disappointed, but she won't be mad. You two are Meredith and Cristina. Trust me, she isn't going to be mad at you." Courtney said, before taking her place next to the Chief. Cristina stood on his left side, while the blonde on his right.

"Um, what do we...so what do we do?" Cristina asked.

"We wait." Richard replied, which caused both interns to look at him. The sound of the ambulance sirens coming closer and closer. Courtney breathed in and out, while shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

"We wait?"

Addison and Callie joined them in matching yellow gowns. "We wait." Webber repeated himself, while staring at the way where the ambulances could come through any moment. The first ambulance to arrive was the one with Alex in it. He got out with his pregnant Jane Doe, who he saved from under a pile of rubble, following him close behind. Cristina, the Chief and Addison followed the paramedic and Alex inside, while the latter was updating everyone about what had happened with the patient.

"Jane Doe, about six months pregnant, found under a pile of rubble. Sustained crush injuries to her right torso and upper extremities as well as severe trauma to the face. BP initially low but now up to 90 over 60 after a liter of fluid and placing her on her left side."

Callie and Courtney stayed behind to wait for the next ambulance, who arrived only seconds after the others had gone inside. A doctor who Courtney had only seen in passing a couple of times stepped out of the vehicule, while the paramedics rolled a gurney with a young child out. Courtney sucked in her breath once she noticed the child, but quickly pushed her feelings aside. The doctor gave them his stats from in the field, while they were pushing him inside of the emergency room.

"One, two and three." The paramedics counted, while they moved the boy from the gurney to the bed. After that moment, everything went very fast. People were walking around, checking all the monitors, while Callie and Courtney were trying to figure out what they were supposed to do next. All sorts of sounds were overlapping in her head; the beeping of the heart monitor, Callie speaking, doctors talking in the background. Courtney couldn't imagine how it would have been in the field. Then, Callie decided that the boy should undergo a CT and a MRI to see what was going on with his spine.

Courtney was put in charge the scans and needed to report back to the ortho resident once she got the results. The blonde got very lucky since she didn't have to wait in line for the scans. The CT scan went very quickly and then she went on the let John Doe undergo a MRI. She walked with the nurses who were rolling him to the MRI. As they went into the room to put the child in the machine, Courtney walked a bit further to the control room. She stood next to the radiologist, who greeted her. "How old is that boy? He looks so young."

"He's 7. We don't know his name, so for now he's a John Doe."

"His parents must be worried."

"I can't even imagine. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes," Courtney said, looking at the young boy lying in the MRI machine. He was still unconscious, which was a positive thing. That way he didn't need to know in how much pain he was. They had administered him some pain killers though to ease his pain, if he felt any. He was all alone without his family and she couldn't imagine how scared he must have been if he had been awake during all of this. It took a couple of minutes, before the scans appeared on the computer screen. The blonde bend forward to inspect them. Both her and the radiologist shared a look, after reading the scan. "Oh, the poor kid."