CH. 3 [ Rooftop Stories ]

Being introduced and accepted into the Science Department was a big life changer in my high school career. So far, during the first month since I was first introduced to Senku, learning and working beside him was harmonious, almost like we could read each other's minds. Of course there were some mistakes along the way; such as being late, handing over the wrong solution, or getting a little carried away with experimenting and eventually leading to a disaster and a long amount of time to clean up afterwards, but in the end it was joyous. Although Senku and I have been working together within that time, we haven't actually talked outside of our experimenting time, unless it had to do with the department...

"..(Y/N) you're spacing out again." I snapped back to reality when Yuzuriha gently waved her had in front of my face, slightly concerned.

"You have been spacing out a lot recently. Are you getting enough sleep?" I laughed and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Of course I am, don't worry. I was just thinking is all." I looked back at my childhood friend who was still not convinced. I laughed again, a little uneasy. She folded her arms and was still looking at me, waiting for an answer. I gave out a long sigh and decided to say what was actually on my mind.

"Alriiiight...the thing is...ever since I joined the Science Department about a month ago I realized that Senku and I never actually hang out outside of the science lab. I feel like we could be good friends if we have the time to talk about what we both like and whatnot." Yuzuriha, who was no longer concerned, slightly laughed about my concerns which made me a bit embarrassed. I never really sought out to become someone's friend before, but he seems like the kind of person to socialize with, especially since he has similar interests to mine.

"Well, if you could take a break from studying and going home every day after school, you could see that Senku, Taiju, and I always hang out together on the rooftop during lunch and sometimes after school-"

"S-seriously!? And you guys never told me! How embarrassing...to think that my friends have been hanging out without my recollection..." I slightly pouted as Yuzuriha patted my back reassuringly. I eventually straightened up when I collected my composure and faced my friend once more.

"If you guys don't mind, I would like to join you guys on the rooftop tomorrow." I smiled when Yuzuriha accepted my request. Since it was after school, we both went our separate ways and returned home.

The next day arrived, and it was now time for lunch. As the bell rang, I swiftly gathered my things and made my way up the stairs to the rooftop. Usually at this time, as Yuzuriha analyzed, I would be studying in the school's library. This time, I wanted to take this opportunity to learn more about Senku Ishigami. I got to the top of the stairs and opened the door that led to the top of the school. I looked around before I saw a familiar green-haired individual with two brunettes. I casually made my way over and waved at them when Taiju decided to make my presence known with an overly-excited greeting. Senku looked over slightly surprised before looking away after I made eye contact for a good amount of time.

"(Y/N)! You're finally joining us!" Taiju exclaimed, still excited. I nodded and gave him a small smile.

"Heh, I didn't know you were friends with these two here, especially the big oaf" Senku chuckled slightly." I laughed at the little nickname given to Taiju.

"Well of course, who wouldn't be their friends. Actually, I could say the same for you as well." I responded.

"The big oaf and I have been friends for a long time. Logically, I could never let someone not be acquainted with me when they want to help me with my studies of science." I looked at him with a face that wanted to know more about their friendship.

"Taiju and Senku have been friends before I knew Taiju." Yuzuriha explained.

"Yeah, when Senku would do his weird, crazy experiments outside of primary school, kids would come over and mess with him and his stuff, but I would always intervene and stop them-"

"You just became their personal punching bag, you big oaf" We all laughed while Taiju sheepishly scratched the back of his head.

"...but besides that, I would always go over to his house and help him with his inventions. We even built our own rocket ship!" I gasped in awe and turned to face Senku.

"No way! You guys really built one?! Did it work? Do you still have it?" I asked with pure excitement. Senku was caught off guard once again by my enthusiasm, but quickly regained himself and smirked with confidence.

"It 10 billion percent did not work. But with the help of Taiju and Yuzuriha we eventually got it to work. Currently, it's somewhere in space, floating around the universe." On impulse, I started to look at the sky. Almost on cue, the bell for the end of lunch started to ring. Yuzuriha and Taiju started to gather their things to throw away, while Senku took a little longer to gather his things.

"...You're amazing, Senku.." I blurted out without thinking. The sight of a few birds flying in my view quickly snapped me back to reality, and I turned to Senku, where I thought was slightly blushing. It took me a few seconds to remember the few words I said before blushing even more than him and getting up quickly out of embarrassment.

"I-I um, just m-meant that your invention with Taiju and Yuzuriha is really c-cool is all!" I tried to hide my face from Senku until he started to laugh, a little more than I have been accustomed to.

"Don't worry, I would say that's a pretty logical response I would get from you. Now, if we don't hurry, we'll be 10 billion percent late to class. Let's go catch up with the other two." Senku said coolly while walking past me. I still stood, still in awe at the mad scientist walking before me. I grinned widely before catching up with him and keeping up with his pace.

Say, what is this feeling...?