Chapter 12

A few weeks later, Ross approached Emma one morning.
"Would you like to come with me to Truro? I need help picking out a gift for Demelza."
"I'd love to, Ross!" Emma said happily, and got on some nicer clothes and shoes to wear to town. She didn't even think to grab her shawl; it was so warm and there were barely any clouds, though Prudie was complaining that rain might come because she could feel it in her bones.
After Ross got Emma situated on the saddle, the two were off.
The ride to Truro was quiet and uneventful. After arriving and putting the horse in the livery stable, Ross took  Emma to a haberdashery where she picked out the perfect gift for Demelza; a green shawl embroidered with black leaves. As a reward, Emma got a barley sugar stick and huddled with a crowd of onlookers to see a puppet show while Ross took care of some business.
Ross had just finished getting Demelza's gift and visiting the lawyer and bank and was headed back to the stables with Emma.  He handed Emma a few coins.
"Go buy something for yourself." He told her. Emma responded with her bright smile that he loved.
"Thank you, Ross!" she said, and went off wondering whether to buy a hair ribbon, a ginger cake, or a currant bun.
Ross had just finished saddling his horse and was headed out of the stable when out of nowhere, Emma ran smack into him. Her face was pale and she was panting. Ross saw her face and she looked terrified.
"Emma! What's wrong?" he asked, putting his hands on her shoulders.
"I......I....saw him, Ross....." she sobbed.
"You saw who?"
"Phillip.....I went into the Red Lion to buy a ginger cake....I heard his voice...I turned and I saw him in the next room."
"Did he see you?" Ross asked, trying not to let his anger flare.
"No, his back was to me." Emma said, finally catching her breath.
Ross stood up straight, his fists clenching and unclenching. He looked down at Emma.
"Go to the back part of the stable and don't come out until I come for you." He said gravely, and headed for the door.
"No, Ross! You can't go there!" she screamed, holding him by the arm.
"Emma, as long as I'm here, he'll never hurt you." Ross assured her.
"But Philip's with Mr. Warleggan!"
Ross stopped abruptly. George would surely start something if Ross made a scene. But, he had to keep Emma safe too.
"Stay here with the horse until I come back." He said again, and Emma nodded.

Ross walked into the busy tavern. He could see George talking with another man; he didn't look much older than Sam. What could a young man have done to a girl to make her so terrified of him?
Ross realized he couldn't get in a fight; if he got arrested, Emma would be alone and unprotected. What would happen then? And then George looked up.
"Ross! I'm surprised they let you in at all."
"I'd stay if you weren't here, George." Ross said, hiding his clenched fists.
"Have you met Phillip Crawley?" George asked.
Phillip turned and gave Ross a smile that made his skin crawl. Ross couldn't keep the words back.
"Oh, George, you have friends that like violating little girls?"
Phillip held his gaze, and evil sneer playing on his face.
"Things the servant's say...nothing more than rumors." He said defensively.
Ross remembered what Emma had done to escape.
"I heard you hurt your shoulder." Ross implied.
"Yes," Phillip said, "I was drunk and I fell on a decanter."
"A decanter, or a skinny little girl with a paring knife?" Ross asked through gritted teeth.
Philip's face turned into a grin worthy of a snake.
"Oh, Emma's your serving wench now? What are you planning on doing with this one?"
Ross was on him in an instant, pushing Philip against the wall and knocking a picture off in the process. He could take a lot of insults, but couldn't help but fight back when people brought Demelza into them.
"If you come near Emma again and as much as breathe on her....I'll kill you." Ross said in a deadly whisper. With that, Ross stormed out of the tavern, flinching as he heard Philip utter one threat;
"This isn't over, Poldark!"