Eight

We stood in the fields, my father, mother, Harlow, Ser Benedict and myself, along with the wives, children, families, friends of the men who were about to load onto their horses and head east. The men were dressed in their knight's wear, Edward had his armour on as he patted his fathers back in an embrace. He had already said his goodbye to his stepmother, and sister. He stopped at my father before bowing to a knee. It was drawn out, his goodbyes. It was as if he was saving me for last. And I was standing there trying my hardest not to break down in tears and lose my composure.

It felt like an entirety before he finally stepped in front of me. He stood in front of me, stock as he stood with his eyes on me.

"I will be fine." He said, low enough for just my ears.

I nodded my head. "I believe in you." Edward nodded as well, before stepping into me, wrapping one arm around me in an embrace similar to the one he gave his father. He patted on my back, and I patted on his. And before too long, it was over.

That night I lay in bed, Tsar sat beside me as I fought the fear the was building inside, it was hitting me in waves as I pictured Edward on the battlefield. Getting hurt, fighting, trying his hardest to stay alive but somehow his hardest not good enough. 

By morning I was a mess, my head was throbbing and my nose was red from tears I had fought to fall. But I still left my chambers when called by my father.

"My boy, you look as if death was your lover last night. Are you ill?" He asked as I stepped into the throne room.

I nodded, "Yes father, a bug it seems. Body aches, chills. What is it you need of me?"

Father walked to me, patting my shoulder. "I have words that there is an outsider inside the walls, I am unable to make my way to the church where they have brought them. You are the only one I have trust in at the moment, with all of my top-ranked men set off. I truly trust your judgement more than others. You and Tsar can go to the church, get a feel for the lad and let me know if you think he is a man of King John or not. "

"Yes, father. Of course.  that should be no problem," I said, dreading it all. But it was best to just say yes to my father, because even if I had said no. I would be to do as I was told.

I walked back to my chambers, Tsar not far behind me, soon I was dressed in my daywear, we had dressed quickly and walked the short distance from the castle to the church.

"My lord, you need to come out from your head, Ser Edward is going to be just fine."

I sighed, looking towards my friend as we treated the dirt road. "I will be fine, it will just take some time." Tsar nodded as he held open the large door of the small cathedral.

It was darkly lit, candles hung from the ceiling, pews lined from front to back in rows. "It has been years since I stepped into a house of God," Tsar said, and I wanted to be shocked by his words. But I knew it was true. Weekly I had gone to the church that was inside our castle, sometimes we had come to this church itself. But the one in our home was opened for all our workers, as well as knights and the public if they like. It was only open on Sunday to the public, but this church open at all hours. And Tsar had been in neither since he had turned the age of ten.

He believed in God, but I had believed he was just mad at God for taking away his mother, and his father had abandoned him before he was five. Once he turned ten, he had no desire to go to the church. And I could not blame him.

Sometimes my mother would push him along, but he had gotten good at sneaking from the task. It started with him picking up extra chores, he was late making a bed, doing laundry, had to help make breakfast or lunch. Soon everyone had clued in that he didn't want to be part of God's house. But he did pray, he still held his head low during meals. He just didn't want to be in the space of someone who he feels like they turned their back on him.

And I for one understood. Because I was a sinner. I laid in the bed of man, I loved men like you should women. It made me weary to be in the home of the Lord. I didn't want him to be angry with me. To hurt those around me.

But God had made me who I was. So why would God hate me for the urges he placed in my body? Why would he hate Edward and me because we had never had the liking for the way of those around us if we were all children of God?

I sighed, nodding to one of the men that stood at the altar, the Father himself was standing in his robes, glasses hanging on his face as he looked down at the large bible.

I didn't notice anyone else right away, until the Father smiled, giving me a bow. "Hello my lord. I'm very pleased to see you." He took my hand in his, kissing the ring that I wore on my finger. I just smiled. "This young man made his way into our walls late last night. I told him it was fine to sleep in God's home tonight and for as long as he needs. But with the war on our doorsteps, I figured it would be better for me to let your family know he was here so that we can all be accounted for."

"Thank you, father." I nodded, turning to see the man sitting in the pews. I didn't see him at first, but I wasn't surprised, the man had dark hair, and in the dim lighting he blended in well. He stood when I looked at him, my eyes meeting his. I couldn't say the colour do to the darkness, but the man was taller than I, closer to Edwards height than my own.

"Hello Lord Trinbent. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." The gentleman said, bowing his head to me.

And that was the day Alexander del Duffet made his way into our life. Changing the way I looked at the people of the world.